CSU's??

I_Con

I know that you know what you are doing, David. There are some contentious ideas floating around out there, so I tend to hammer the most safe approach.

Some oil additives can cause plug fouling. Some of the antifriction additives are a case in point. Some of the older engines use quite a lot of oil as a normal thing, so the plugs would be susceptable. I did mention that some carburettors are rich in the idle range, so some operators lean the engine when taxiing. Incidently the technique when doing this, to prevent inadvertent take-off with it lean, is to run the motor SO lean on taxi that it falters when you open the throttle. You can also carry a clip or clothes peg and put it on the control that you have operated "out of sequence" as a reminder to check it. Nev

You will even find lack of "fundamental" knowledge in findings/edicts of the administrators occasionally. Something that most knew years ago isn't common knowledge anymore . It just gets lost. Nev

Ain't that the truth - more yank talk. That said, what is portrayed as "fundamental" knowledge can sometimes be nothing more than ancient doctrine which has attained the status of "law" thanks to endless repetition. Unfortunately instructors can be prone to simplifying technical concepts for the sake of students understanding and it is this simplified version which is taught to successive generations by instructors who were themselves taught by rote. The whole throttle vs elevator debate for adjusting an approach path is one example - we saw otherwise reasonable people all but come to blows over the question in a thread here, within the last year.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif The military system of instruction probably has much to answer for in this regard, the whole system is of necessity geared to the lowest common denominator and does not encourage any deviation or independent thinking. Notwithstanding comments made in the ABC video storm in a teacup, military systems of management and discipline do not translate particulaly well into the civilian sphere.

I had the privilege of flying with a lot of WW2 pilots and didn't find too much of that. I also had younger airforce trained co-pilots as well as aero club derived pilots, and I honestly can't remember much of a problem. There seems to be more" Fixed-mind" stuff around in some recreational circles and the so called "experts" who know more than just about anybody, ( some of them) writing articles as if they have just descended from heaven with a new set of commandments.

There is rarely one absolute way of doing things in flying. ( Judging the flare is a case in point). There are some basic approaches to analysing the problem and some FACTS that we should know, to start with, and more that we learn as we go on. Don't do it by numbers.. Nev

Glad to hear it, I had an ex military instructor (SAAF) for my first 30 hours or so and really enjoyed his approach, but subsequently had dealings with a couple of ex RAF types who were nothing if not rigid and doctrinaire, which has no doubt coloured my impression of the breed.

The ones teaching initial sequences were all pretty similar the way they treated the subject. Very standardised and straight out of the book. Today you will get many different approaches from different RAAus instructors and this could have a downside if some particular person has a few idiosynchrasies and weird ideas, some of which can be straightout wrong. Its OK if everything is discussed and understood as you go along. A few things I was told were not as appropriate later on as they might have been at the time. I recall one " AN aeroplane is a thing that is light and balanced. You don't have to push it around". That stuck in my head and I tended to be very gentle with it, some times too much so. It applied to the Chipmunk because it had beautiful controls. not to some of the other types I have flown. No big deal really but you do hang on your instructors words sometimes. Early flying training is an intense experience. Nev

• Like 2