HOW MANY JOEYS

pete8862

Why not give Gary Morgan from Morgan Aeroworks a call he may be able to point you to an owner near you.

He is very good to talk to and his aircraft sell themselves.

My Son-in-law Kevin and I spoke to him early this year followed by a visit to Taree and the result can be seen in our Avatars.

Be warned.....enquiries can be very infectious.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

We are running the Jabiru 3 litre which gives us a cruise of 135 knots. We compared the Morgan Sierra with the Jabiru 230 and much prefered the Sierra.

If you run through our posts (my son-in-law Kevin who bought the aircraft is;- KJFAB) on the Morgan Forum you will see all the reasons there.

Why not fly down to Tarree one day and check them out.

Incidentally I believe that the reason there are not many JOEY 2's around is because they are fibreglass and some people are unable or don't like working with fibreglass.

2145001484_MorganS3.thumb.jpg.80f336e670171a283145e58550783fd2.jpg

33070392_MorganS4.thumb.jpg.7c18f8e4dbd2c9dd5be48782cda89ffb.jpg

1202782045_MorganS2.thumb.jpg.37fab559984359f6f637d603020978f8.jpg

We are running the Jabiru 3 litre which gives us a cruise of 135 knots. We compared the Morgan Sierra with the Jabiru 230 and much prefered the Sierra.

If you run through our posts (my son-in-law Kevin who bought the aircraft is;- KJFAB) on the Morgan Forum you will see all the reasons there.

Incidentally I believe that the reason there are not many JOEY 2's around is because they are fibreglass and some people are unable or don't like working with fibreglass.

We are running the Jabiru 3 litre which gives us a cruise of 135 knots. We compared the Morgan Sierra with the Jabiru 230 and much prefered the Sierra.If you run through our posts (my son-in-law Kevin who bought the aircraft is;- KJFAB) on the Morgan Forum you will see all the reasons there.

Not so sure about the last sentence. Many have built Jabirus, I have a Lightning and they are all fibreglass. I am sure that those who choose to build either with metal or fibreglass can get copious help and support from like minded builders.

Not so sure about the last sentence. Many have built Jabirus, I have a Lightning and they are all fibreglass. I am sure that those who choose to build either with metal or fibreglass can get copious help and support from like minded builders.

I see your point Galpin but my last sentence still holds true.

My son has worked extensively with fibreglass and loves it, my son-in-law has a metal fabrication factory and loves working with metal there is an aircraft manufacturer in SA who just cannot work with fibreglass as he comes out in serious rashes. Check on some of 'Sloper's' posts and he just HATES working with fibreglass....he is building a Morgan Sierra. I have personally owned Rag and Tube, Metal, Metal and fabric, Fibreglass and wood and fabric so I am not biased in any way, I am just making a statement based on what others tell me. Copious amounts of help will not prevent fibreglass rashes or other irritations.

All the best,

Alan.

• 2 months later...
Guest stevewurst

Hi Guys, I'm wondering what the pro's and con's are of fibreglass vs. aluminium planes. Comparing the Sierra to the Joey, lightning, jabiru etc... just taking the specs into consideration, the cruise speeds seem close, but the manouvering speed and Vne are much higher in composite planes. Is this a weakness of building with aluminium that it cannot withstand as higher forces as fibreglass? & does it mean that there is extra cruise speed potential of the composite planes if I was to use a cockpit adjustable pitch prop over the aluminium?

I'm possibly going to start building a kit within the next couple years, and I'm pretty much sold on the Sierra 100 because of it's weight, carrying capacity, speed and price. I also prefer to work with steel than fibreglass. I'm still tossing up ideas for engines and probably will be until I actually install one. To get the best carrying capacity the best option so far is a Jabiru 2200 because it's the lightest on the market, with rotec liquid cooled heads & TBI for that bit extra power, and an in cockpit adjustable variable pitch prop. I figure with that combination you'd get better fuel burn than a Jab 3300 with similar takeoff power if the 3300 had a normal prop. Also, it would be possible to run the jab 2200 at higher cruise speed because the Liquid cooled heads negate the problem of overheating under constant high load... something to ponder.

Love working with Aluminium, hate working in fibreglass.

Have a look at a Viking as well, mine is sitting under the bench waiting to be mounted.

And mention my name when ordering. ;)

regards Bruce

Ah the Viking Engine . If only I had the money, I would love to buy one, put it in one of Gary Morgans own Sierras and get him to clock up 1,000 hours asap.

I just can't wait to see how they perform in a Morgan.

Alan.

It will be a composite 3 blade, l am trying to get them to approve a Bolly.They like Sensenich or Warp drive.

regards Bruce

We are using a Two Bladed Bolly having also test flown the Three Blade Bolly . as you probably know two blades are more efficient than three. There was a marked improvement with the two blade Kevin ( KJFAB ) has given the performance figures on a previous post, I'll try to find it and let you know.

Apart from the performance it is of course a lighter prop.

Alan.