SST on front hole?

Has anyone moved the hang point of their sst to the front hole? I'm thinking of tying this at some stage so I'm wondering about other peoples experience.

I expect that it would end up trimming at about 67kts hands off and it would be even lighter in pitch and more stable in turbulence. It would mean using the trimmer to slow it down a bit for take off as mine has a yaw to the left if you pull the bar in past trim when you first get off the ground. At all other times it seems to behave itself quite nicely.

Bluey.

Has anyone moved the hang point of their sst to the front hole? I'm thinking of tying this at some stage so I'm wondering about other peoples experience.I expect that it would end up trimming at about 67kts hands off and it would be even lighter in pitch and more stable in turbulence. It would mean using the trimmer to slow it down a bit for take off as mine has a yaw to the left if you pull the bar in past trim when you first get off the ground. At all other times it seems to behave itself quite nicely.

Bluey.

G'day Bluey,

Been there and done that, i didnt like it at all, you are correct, mine cruised at 67kts indicated on the analouge indicator but it tended to fly right wing down a touch, just didnt feel right to me, i had it like that for about 30 hrs and just got sick of the right wing low attitude.

Yes i also used full trim to take off and land and a lot of the time i left it on as it flew more level

I have it back now 1 hole from the front and i am happy with it like that as it is still fairly easy to hold it to attain 75kts indicated.

Believe it or not i still use full trim in this hole to take off and land and the trike flys level in trim hands off and trim off.

All i will say is try it and see waht yours does and yep a better wing by far in turbulence than the st 3, much more rigid and no wire slap when the wing unloads in the bumps'

Cheers

Alf

Hi Alf, did it require constant input to keep it flying straight with the right wing down? Or was it just a torque effect causing the base to torque to the left as expected at higher engine revs. This may well explain the right wing down observation. I will probably give it a go when I have a few more hours on it. At the moment I have the trimmer disabled as it produces too much back pressure and makes it harder to fly at more than 65kts. With it disabled, it is not too hard to get to 75kt in level flight. Do you know if there is a way of adjusting the pitch pressure with the trimmer connected?

Bluey

Hi Alf, did it require constant input to keep it flying straight with the right wing down? Or was it just a torque effect causing the base to torque to the left as expected at higher engine revs. This may well explain the right wing down observation. I will probably give it a go when I have a few more hours on it. At the moment I have the trimmer disabled as it produces too much back pressure and makes it harder to fly at more than 65kts. With it disabled, it is not too hard to get to 75kt in level flight. Do you know if there is a way of adjusting the pitch pressure with the trimmer connected?Bluey

Yeah move the trimmer attachment point further up towards the top of the mast, i cant quite remember the airbore standard measurements from the top of the mast down, (440mm i think off hand), mine might now be 400 or 380ish.

Trimmer still works fine just a slightly higher trim speed when wound full on, but much easier to get the bar in for some speed'

on a different note i think the trike in the front hole had some torque effect but not that much, it was just a weird feeling as you will see.

Try it you might actually like it, i didnt and wont put it back in the front hole again.

Cheers

Alf