Camcorders in flexwings

I am planning to visit later this year in order to see more of the country in my Quik 912S. I would like to make a decent record and would appreciate any advice on this. A big issue would be the ability to store data to edit once I return.

best wishes,

Simon

Guest Peggy2

G'day Simon,

I want to take lots of aerial video once I start flying too.

Most video recorders can now hold many gigabytes of recordings either on compact disc or other digital storage media so there won't be any problem if you bring along plenty of those.

If you havent chosen a camera already, make sure you buy one with a "video in" jack so you can use a remote bullet camera.

Cheers.

Hi Simon,

Unless you're going to have a good cameraperson in the passenger seat you will want to be able to operate the camera with a minimum of distraction from your piloting duties. I use a bullet camera and a cheap security camera wired through a cheap video switch box into my camcorder so I can switch cameras on the fly. I also use a camera remote control button velcroed onto the dashboard of my trike to turn the camera on/off and start/stop recording and connected an intercom output to the camcorder to record on board commentary/conversations & radio calls. For this last bit I really need a 3rd output from my intercom when I have a passenger on board.

Cheers,

Glen

Hi Simon,

I'd suggest using a MiniDV tape camera. Because there's less risk of vibration upsetting your recording as could occur with DVD and Hard Drive cameras. Also they're dirt cheap in comparison and still give reasonably good quality video. It will just take longer to transfer the video to your PC than with DVD or HD camera. I use a Sony HC30.

Which parts of Australia do you plan to visit with your Quik?

Cheers,

Glen

Hi Glen,

Apologies for delayed reply.

I plan to come over about August time and hope to be fairly flexible. Basically I'll be starting from near to Mebourne and will head up to Sydney and then to Brisbane. I want to visit Birdsville at some point and maybe further North even, returning via the Birdsville track perhap to Victoria. I like the idea of a basic itineray wth ability to respond to opportunuties that may or may not arise.

Best wishes, Simon

Hi Simon,

Well I know plenty of flexwing flyers in Victoria who I'm sure will be pleased to have you drop in at their airfield. Depending on your short field confidence with the Quik I may invite you to drop in at our property near Goulburn NSW during your trip between Melbourne and Sydney. 400m grass cross strips may be pushing it a bit with a Quik.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest Mardyboy

Hi simon.

I have been doing what you would like to do for some time. I have been using a small bullet cam on the wing and one on my helmet. i have purchased a small switcher from Jaycar that allows me to change from on of 4 camera's. You can also select to change for you at set time intervals, it's very cool indeed. You will need a camera that has a video and audio input. I have found that many will do it but often don't even say they do in the instructions. It is also a good idea to find a camera that has a connector called a LANC connector. This connector allows you to turn on and off the camera, as well as start stop the recording. Note that the remote that normally comes with cameras WILL NOT operate the camera in Camera input mode, only used for playback and standard rec functions. Here is a link to a usfull site, you will notice links that will tell you what cameras you can use to do what you want, and also lists if they have a LANC connector. This will be a great help when shopping, co's Trust me! most sales people will have NO idea about these features. Gone are the days people in shops can assist you. Here is the link http://www.helmetcamera.com.au/faq.htm

I hope I have been a help to you and any others that may want to try this themselves. It is well worth the effort. I store the batt for the camera's and the Handycam in my apex bag above my head, the switcher is on the front bar, and you guessed it the helmet cam is on my head. I hope this all makes sense, I did this in a hurry.

Cheers

Mardy