Bi-annual inspection

Guest Peggy2

Guest Peggy2

Hi, I just received a reminder from the HGFA that the bi-annual inspection will soon be due on my trike, (502 hrs on the trike and wing and 80 hrs on the engine since rebuild).

After reading the paperwork, from what I can gather this can be carried out by the owner with another person familiar with trikes as a second pair of eyes.

I was lead to beleive that it had to be performed by a level two or some other HGFA person authorised to do so, is this correct ?

Being the holder of two mechanical trade certificates in the automotive, and one in the coal mining industry it could be that I might be more qualified than the person I have to pay to do the inspection who may be a pastry cook or vetinary surgeon ect.

Could someone enlighten me please.

Cheers, Bob

Guest Crezzi

AFAIK the HGFA don't have an equivalent of Level 2 (thats an RAA rating) and I believe you can do the inspection yourself.

I'm not familiar with the renewal paperwork but theres lots of useful guidelines in the HGFA Ops manual (section 9.7).

Don't overlook the sail test - if you don't have a bettsometer you can borrow one from the HGFA.

Cheers

John

Guest Crezzi

UV is what degrades the sail - if it's derigged every time then it might well last 10 or 15 years or even longer. Depends how much exposure it gets whilst it was in the air and how long it spends parked out in the sun before & after flight.

There will obviously be an increased risk of other wing damage from continually rigging & derigging it - especially if it is moved about on a trailer or roof rack.

John

• 1 month later...

Ditto to Crezzi's comment, especially regarding the bettsometer test. The renewal paperwork includes a fairly detailed description of what you should be checking, and with your mechanical knowledge, I would guess that you were sufficiently competent to carry out the task yourself.

However, it is worth considering a second pair of eyes - always useful, even if 'unqualified'.

Regards,

Kev.

• 1 month later...

Regarding life of wings, Airborne regard a Wizard wing with 1000 hours on it as a write-off because of its sheer age.

It does take a lot of flying (a decade or more for most of us) to rack up 1000 hours on any wing. Most trikes have been pranged and written off or retired (or sold six times) before the wing gets to that number of hours anyway. A fabric wing that flies 1000 hours probably owes its owner nothing anyway.