WHAT MODEL THRUSTER DO I HAVE?

flyerme

Can anyone help I.D my beast? what Model is this ? Ive tried every where but no go.. waiting to hear from the fellow who took over from Tony but not looking to promising!! I was told its most likely a one of kind modified T83EH(enclosed house)?

I bought it as a T83 and the but old owner had no other info and wasnt 100% on the model.

theres No I.D as it most peoberbly had the boom replaced (as theres no rivet holes for the I.D badge.)

as you can see it has been modified at some stage . mods are fully enclosed cockpit long rang 70-80 ltr tank with aerodynamic fairing and larger wheels and spatts.

ok ,it has the following specs

single seat

engine Robin FUJI 44 ec 50 hp(440cc)

wing span 29.5 ft

area 150sq ft

length18.5 ft

it has 18 top wing ribs

NO bottom Batons just the colaspable frame.

has 2 wing strutts either side with 1 wire support (innermost)

the pod has a join down the centre (halves)with an (origanally black )seal joining the halves(looks like a car seal of some sort).

any info would really be appreciated.THRUSTER1.jpg.bf33bd08fc55a6c0b46bf859fd32057a.jpg

P9.jpg.3140fc44c0901e9eb5e5d4b67b3cbf09.jpg

THRUSTER3.jpg.6e0425560a5006dad04920e58eacf558.jpg

THRUSTER2.jpg.e0ff57f09ef6b907bfd8dca0eeaee67a.jpg

P1.jpg.bbeea55f541ead1382fd3724445df666.jpg

P6.jpg.f17454fadd3b012bc5301cc12f99eafe.jpg

P11.jpg.160c7b167a488df7377a4adbe6202a12.jpg

P4.jpg.7e9ac927e3da3e441c1b0ed890728ea3.jpg

P10.jpg.46bea4607acb9c6ceeb1fc77be1e4e0c.jpg

THRUSTER4.jpg.8b7ed206b9acddd668e8795cd605d684.jpg

Intriguing eh flyerme? I wish I could help but I only have Tony Hayes 2 seater identification guide. It's certainly frustrating that since Tony's passing there has been virtually nothing from TOSG, possibly because this is not Bob Llewellyn's first priority (and I make no judgement about that). Just a pity that all Tony's information - his legacy, is still there but unobtainable it seems. I paid my annual subscription to TOSG after Tony died, and after speaking with Bob, in the hope that TOSG would continue, but nothing, not even a newsletter.

Back in the early days TOSG was started by Tony and a fella called Steve Vette. Now I know Steve personally and will be seeing him this weekend. I'll ask him if he can help with some information for you.

Cheers,

Pud

PS. You might try sending a PM ('Start a conversation') to Steve; he is a member here as AVU.

PPS. You probably have looked here already - but just in case you haven't, try this http://www.auf.asn.au/magazine/thruster_history.html#overview

Hey Pud,Yeh I didnt want to say Bob but, what you say about priority makes a lot of sence...I spoke to Bob but apperently his email is having trouble so his not sure when he will look at my email.

also just spoke to Kaye and decided to go ahead with the order for the T83 manual...She is Quite accwainted on the subject and very Helpful.

in regaurds to Steve ,after an un-impessed comment made to me by ..hmmmmm , well lets just say Im reluctent to start a conversation..(I am a little shy and introverted already without being made to feel unconfortable). comment being" ah you have a thruster,,your oviously rich, when I can read youre email Im sure I can tell you everything you need to know ,itll cost you around a $1000".. now was he seriouse ??I guess this was proberbly ment to be funny? ( I really wish i could have called Tony)069_boring.gif.9cee54db3616ee9ac1231638d365dc2c.gif,but I make no miss conception when I say I AM A HONEST PENNYLESS FLYER..I am a carrer(pension)and have had to use smarts and some good old luck (not dollars) to get my dream off the ground. I believe if you own the 1 plane from the early 80's you aint rich!!!! your like me a dreamer and a believer.determination is worth more than the dollar......

on that note

take it easy and hope to hear soon

Hi,

It looks like a late '83. Although there were so many changes as they went along. They were built in batches of 5 to 8 and each batch had refinements. Then a lot of the early ones were upgraded to things like larger diameter lift struts heavier compression tubes in the wings etc. I'd like to see a photo of the engine mount. The original fuel tank was just a 20lt plastic drum.

I preferred the Robyn 440 over the Rotax engines that we also used a little later. If the reduction drive is the original it was made up by Lewis Pulleys in Alexandria Sydney. The shaft must be the later version as the early ones snapped at the bearing support. The original prop was a 2 blade wooden Catto. There were also several different winspans.

Tony and I spent many hours going over what knowledge i have on these. All changes were documented by Brian Fimmell and each aircraft had it's production sheet listing the specs., then David Belton later destroyed all the documentation. I am surprised that Tony was able to sort them all out. Good chance that this was built at the Caringbah factory not at the Kirrawee site. So Steve Cohen was probably still involved. if the stainless fittings are original and not the newer type that Tony had made i would keep checking them carefully espesially the wing strut fittings. I never did like the way they were designed and constructed.

Hope this is a bit of a help.

ozzie

Hi,It looks like a late '83. Although there were so many changes as they went along. They were built in batches of 5 to 8 and each batch had refinements. Then a lot of the early ones were upgraded to things like larger diameter lift struts heavier compression tubes in the wings etc. I'd like to see a photo of the engine mount. The original fuel tank was just a 20lt plastic drum.

I preferred the Robyn 440 over the Rotax engines that we also used a little later. If the reduction drive is the original it was made up by Lewis Pulleys in Alexandria Sydney. The shaft must be the later version as the early ones snapped at the bearing support. The original prop was a 2 blade wooden Catto. There were also several different winspans.

Tony and I spent many hours going over what knowledge i have on these. All changes were documented by Brian Fimmell and each aircraft had it's production sheet listing the specs., then David Belton later destroyed all the documentation. I am surprised that Tony was able to sort them all out. Good chance that this was built at the Caringbah factory not at the Kirrawee site. So Steve Cohen was probably still involved. if the stainless fittings are original and not the newer type that Tony had made i would keep checking them carefully espesially the wing strut fittings. I never did like the way they were designed and constructed.

Hope this is a bit of a help.

ozzie

Ill take some more pics in detail of the engine mount the reduction drive etc..

thanks to PUD , Steve Vette and the Tony Hayes,"Thruster single seat owner and I.D manual" and OZZI ,im starting to get some usefull info.

Here's what it appears to be

: Thruster T83 ehf un-finished ( ok origanally a T83)

un-finished because the ailrons were never converted to flaparons(flaparon being the"F" in ehf)

EH being enclosed house.

also the rear boom strutts have been changed with T85 strutts(moved to back of cockpit)

also should note the correct wing span as mesured is accaully 29.6 ft as apposed to my old owner manual stating 29.5 ft..

its more likly a copy but slightly enhanced version of the first and presumed only T83 ehf..

enhanced because the doors and winscreen are a fair bit more streamline ,they do not pertrude if looking from the front ,you can barely see them at all.

I would still like to know the history on this but can't trace the reg number = 10 - 404....who retrofitted it? how many hands has it passed threw?why was the boom replaced and the I.D not re-riveted

and mainly what is the I.D? , oviously 1 of 49 built but what number in that 49?

will still take detailed photos,hopfully tomorrow ,ill have to un tarp her (bloody sparrow shit)

thanks againall you kind folk