95-10 aluminium wing

skootaroo

Thanks Arthur, I've got 4-6 solids now, I'll pick up some 4-7's when I need them. I've been looking for a spec on what shape the dome head really is. I need to make the "anvil" I'll be squeezing my rivets against, I guess I'll just make the dimple freehand.

Alloy shank pops? Is that to elimenate the rusting of the shank remains?

Carl

I need to make the "anvil"

If your any good at sharpening drills or end mills, you could grind one to suit the shape of a dome head rivet and just drill it.

Would pay to case harden afterwards.

If your using 4-6/4-7's on a 0.016" web to spar cap, they must be pretty thick caps!

It's always a good idea to arrange the rivets to have the heads on the thinnest side of the joint, ie heads onto the 0.016" side.

Yeah, I guess the alloy shanked pops are mainly for anti corrosion more than weight saving.

The Vampires used to use alloy shank AA73 3-2's to rivet skins to ribs (both 0.016"), a bit hard to get though.

Any photo's yet?

Arthur.

spars

Here's what I've drawn for a sparcap to shearweb interface.

I've tapered the angle as much as I can, but as you can see the rivet heads are the minimum distance to the fillet radius. This was one of the reasons I wanted to use a tighter row of pop's, as they have a smaller shop head they could be installed closer to the fillet so I could trim more off the angle.

As you can see I would have been installing my rivets the wrong way round, I can turn them around and no pixles will be harmed in the process.

Carl

spar.thumb.JPG.545b948f360fdf0c2358088f083b17b9.JPG

That looks OK so far.

Angle looks heavy enough to build a cantilever wing!

Best to stick to solid rivets for the shear web, web might need to be a bit heavier inboard if cantilever

Arthur.

• 2 weeks later...

I found why my spar caps are so thick, I was only counting the horizontal portion of the angle as a tensile member.

I have recalculated my spar now to count the three pieces individually and found I can use much smaller angle!

Anyway, back to work.