Estimating prop health

hihosland

The literature that comes with my Kievprop advises a service life of 4 years. Communication with the factory suggests usage beyond 4 years "on condition".

I'd be interested in any indicators of prop health for composite props.

How does one estimate the condition of a prop other than the incidence of surface/leading edge nicks and chips?

Davidh

Depending on the actual hub design, you may find they mean for you to totally dissassemble the prop every 4 years.

This would be to inspect the assembly bolts, the hub itself for cracks/stretching/wear etc, and mainly the roots of the blades for any signs of fatigue.

Obviously any signs of damage on the major blade surface is also reason for a close inspection.

One would assume there should be a maintainance manual with the prop (if new), or maybe you could download the releavant info from the net...

Arthur.

Guest brentc

When an enigne is 'on condition,' you would normally perform a compression check every 100 hours and compare performance to the last taken, plus record static rpm and any other prudent information.

I'd say if a prop was 'on condition' that a 100 hour service interval would be appropriate.

Remember, in engine terms an 'on condition' engine is one that is ready for a rebuild or replacement and considered past it's service life for passenger paying charter operations, but still valid for private ops.