Alarms in Garages and Hangers

Sloper

Goodaye all

Had to replace the battery in my garage alarm today and thought l should pass it on.

l have in my garage a modified car alarm that runs on 12v from a car battery.

Covers all the doors and windows.

Being a car alarm l have remotes that l use to arm and disarm it, l also have a keyed master switch in a wall that also can switch it off.

The battery is usally one that is on the way out, having 4 cars it gets swaped out regulary and every month or so l throw the charger on it.

Seems to last well.

Being detached from the house l turn the power off as l finish for the day.

You could use a 12v power pack but this could set the alarm off. if the power goes out.

A solar charger is also no good as it also will trip most alarms.

Its only a basic alarm you need, think it cost me $80, l wont tell the brand if you dont mind.

Now for a hanger you could use a car alarm that has a sim card and ring you when it goes off, once again you dont need mains power.

This would be a more upmarket setup, but would be cheap and reliable.

Or you could use the cheaper setup that would just make noise to scare them off.

l have had it for over 10 years protecting my cars and now my plane build.

If people are interested l get do a general diagram.

PS Ff any body has old Cobra car alarm bits l would be interested in them.

regards Bruce

Guest ozzie

I used to fit auto sound and alarm systems for a living while ago. All tied in with "Thruster Enterprises". Fitted a yellow light car alarm complete with tripple air horns and strobe to Steve Cohen's brother's surf ski factory/shop. Small battery to run it charged up during the day. Small ignition lock key pad to disarm it. Worked a treat for years and did it's job on a couple of occasions. That set up was worth about $50 with the battery and charger. It drew hardly any power until tripped. These days i'd be looking at including good camera coverage uploaded in real time or at least to a very secure dvr onsite.

About 15 years late on the old Cobra alarm bits. Long tossed.

ozzie