YTEA (Terang) Near Blackwater QLD

Louis Moore

Have Tomo here and we are discussing good strips/places to go out for a camping trip. Tomo was talking about a small, crossed out yet fairly good condition strip about 20nm south south west of Blackwater that is marked on the WAC as Terang (Where was Tomo on my camping thread with this info!!!! poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif). For google earth users the LAT/LONG is 23°57'39.61"S 148°46'40.89"E.

Does any one have any info on this strip, looks like an old mining strip so does any one know if the mine is still active, is the airstrip privately owned etc...????? Any info would be appreciated 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Below are some pics Tomo gave me of the strip when he called in for a nature stop in a Jab.

Here is one shot from Google Earth.

In an emergency yes! Which is why you learn about Prec-search landings in training... but mate, it was the most amazing strip ever, smooth bitumen over 1000mtrs long.

Guest Maj Millard

There is a large sealed strip South West of Dingo that I spotted once ...next to a small town. I asked Darren Dingo the roadhouse owner if he knew anything and he said it is now aboriginal land (dry camp) and didn't recommend you go there as you may not be permitted to take off. Also crossed out. Could this new strip Tomo found be on the same land ?...pity really as the one I spotted was at one time a real nice strip...may have been Woorabinda ?................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

2I have spent the night scouring the net for info and there is not much out there on it. Maj I doubt YTEA is on the same land as it is about 40nm south west of Dingo, how far out was the strip you were talking about?

Best I can make out is it's the old strip for the Laleham underground coal mine as the strip is just abeam that facility. Looks like the mine was shut down in 2001 after a merger and they switched to purely open cut coal mining. Maybe the strip has been left to the elements since then? Any one know anything about the Laleham coal mine south of black water?????

Guest Maj Millard

The strip I'm refering to is Woorabinda. Google Earth shows it at S 24.07.32.76 E149.28.59.02 large sealed strip running approx N/S just North of the township. I measure it as 28.99 NM South of Dingo. Pretty sure it was crossed out last time I viewed it.......................................................Maj...

Not sure Woorabinda would be a good camping spot, according to the net the settlement there is one of the most violent in Australia with around 45% higher malicious attack rate causing hospitalisation than any anywhere else in Oz! Would make it very interesting, but like you said you might not be allowed to take off again!!!

Is an amazing looking strip though.

Not sure Woorabinda would be a good camping spot, according to the net the settlement there is one of the most violent in Australia with around 45% higher malicious attack rate causing hospitalisation than any anywhere else in Oz! Would make it very interesting, but like you said you might not be allowed to take off again!!!

I guess that one could be the 'adventure' camping trip strip... big_gun.gif.bf32cf238ff2a3722884beddb76a2705.gif

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Might have to run the wheels down the asphalt next time I'm in the area !...........................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif