Warbird restoration

Guest Decca

Guest Decca

I have begun helping an old gent restore an Avro Anson in a fairly obvious building on the access road to Ballarat Airport. If you buy Pacific Flyer you may have seen an article about it last year. “Alan†has been rebuilding this Anson for years but I won’t go into the history of why now, suffice to say he had the foresight to leave a legacy to the community which would otherwise have finished up as scrap, or rotted away so that no-one could enjoy the vintage war bird. He has done this almost single handed (small consortium called “friends of the Ansonâ€Â) with little or no prior knowledge of aircraft maintenance and few tools. He relies on “donations†from visitors to the building to pay for building rental & power. Alan spends a lot of time with visitors to give them value for money & a worthwhile memory to take away with them. There is still a lot of work to be done to complete the project, which will become a static display, unfortunately not a flying display, but apart from his handicaps, Alan has done a magnificent job.

What I need from you guys is if you have, or know anyone who has, & can loan or donate rivet setting tools. I don’t mean pneumatic guns (Alan doesn’t even have a compressor). Just small dollys & those eg brazier head punches - dammit I forgot what they’re called. But if you know anything about a/c sheet metal you know what I’m talking about. Now it doesn’t matter if I get zero response to this request, I just had to ask, & thank you for reading this post.

Regards, Decca.010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Sabre

Awesome...just wondering if there are any other warbird restoration projects taking place around S.E QLD???

Maybe not S E Qld, but in the Isa I currently have 2 Winjeels in my shed, 448 & 421 and both are under airworthy restoration. A mate bought 421 after I bought 448. If you are ever out this way give me a yell and all are most welcome to have a look.

Regards, Tony.

Decca, I guess you guys know that there is a Anson sitting in derelict condition at Roma, it and all the remaining parts are for sale, maybe trade, the stub wings, engine and under carriage were/are sitting in a hangar and the fuse is sitting behind the hangar. I was told that the aircraft was owned by former Priemer Joh at one time.

Regards, Tony.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Decca

Avro Anson Restoration

Thanks to Nev25, Sabre, & Tony. Thought this post wasn’t going to attract any interest ‘til I put the photo in. It’s a while since I checked it, but very happy to find there are still some more bits around, hopefully in better condition than most. I‘ll certainly let Allan know, & if he‘s interested I‘ll get you to PM me some more details. Thanks Tony. Also thanks Darren for helping with the photo.

Regards, Decca.;)

Guest Sabre

If there is anything you find in S.E QLD for the Anson and you need picked up and sent please do not hesitate to contact me.Anything to help the project.

Cheers

Guest Decca

Nev25, these a/c find a new start to life after being salvaged from New Guinea jungles or wrecks located anywhere around the world. Many man hours are spent restoring them. You'll find interesting stories & pics in magazines eg Flightpath (excellent) & other warbird mags. You may also find restoration groups listed too, otherwise search the web. Other forum members may know if there's a group in your area.

Regards, Decca.

Guest Decca

Sabre thanks for your offer to help if anything (re Anson) comes up in your area. I have sent Tony a PM to find out more about the one in Roma, & will do the same if something comes up.

Regards, Decca.

Guest TOSGcentral

Decca can you confirm what mark that is please. It looks like a Mk1 - if so is the gun turret still with it?

I have a soft spot for the Annie and did a couple of hours in them in UK.

One sad moment was seeing one of the later Marks flown into RAF Swinderby, put on a dispersal pad, its undercarriage retracted and the aircraft be gutted of its instruments - it was then used for fire fighting practice (while it lasted).

On a happier note a couple of years later I saw a genuine Mk1 at Booker, totally restored and in full camouflage. She was in for service and actually taught me a lesson that I will pass on here.

I had always been a bit skeptical about camouflage and was flying when the Annie took off. I could see it clearly on the ground and watched the take off - looked away and then back again and it was gone! I knew where it had to be but it was invisible! I did not see the aircraft again until it climbed above the horizon.

So for anyone building a warbird replica bear that in mind. It is getting increasingly common for people to apply the black and white Invasion Bands - this is not just for looks, without them some of these aircraft are very difficult to see indeed.

Tony

Guest Decca

Tony you’re showing your age mate. But anyone who can claim a few hours on these is a hero of mine. (I’m only 2yrs behind you). YES it is a Mark 1, but I couldn’t say the original turret is being installed, but it will be a Bristol with probably twin 303’s (as opposed to single 303). I guess you know the option was a Whitworth turret with Lewis or Browning hand operated (machine?) gun. The a/c may finish up with the original helmet cowling over the 340/350hp Cheetah 9’s. How did it feel to be behind 700 horses?

Don’t you hate that? But most of our war birds went out this way, or worse just bulldozed into a ditch or off an a/c carrier, otherwise more of us would be flying real spitfires etc around.

Ironic that you mention camouflage (& some attempt to make it less of an issue to other pilots) yesterday, but it could have been one of the factors of a personal near miss - please note near miss may not be accurate as truth is I don’t really know how close we actually got to this war bird, but I would have died ignorant and happy because I never saw a thing. Anyway if ever you get to Vic (don’t come here in winter) come & stay at my Land for Wildlife property in Snake Valley & you can do another circuit or two in a Mk1 Anson in the shed at the local airport.

Regards, Decca.

Guest Decca

Brumby08: No reply from you, try again if your computer's behaving. Sent you a pm 2 days ago, maybe you haven't sighted it yet.

Regards, Decca.