Flying Formation

It was looking like a frustrating weekend with the 160 Jabiru I normally fly offline. Last weekend the weather kept us on the ground and this weekend no aircraft. Next weekend the RPA at Murray Bridge are away so no flying again.

I got an e-mail from my instructor Ian on Friday offering me a flight in his own aircraft from Murray Bridge to Aldinga. Unfortunately Saturday morning brought rain and low cloud. Ian rang early to say not to waste my fuel. I still had to do my pre solo exam so I decided to drive up any way. When I got to the airfield the weather had lifted. Ian landed with a student in RPA's LSA and told me to help push his LSA out of the hangar. We went up with Doc another instructor at RPA and did some formation flying. I had an absolute ball. I had been towed in a glider behind a tug plenty of times but never that close. Another skill I am now keen to learn. I can't believe how nervous other aircraft in the circuit make me and then to fly so close. A real buzz.

I spent the afternoon talking planes and asking Ian a million questions over many cups of coffee. I sat my pre solo exam so now one day when Ian says I am good enough I can go solo.

Thanks Ian for taking me up in your own plane and giving me a great day despite not actually flying myself. They really are a top bunch of guys at RPA Murray bridge.

Jeez, Ian is getting such a big head after your posts John!

I know what you mean about formation though. I've done about 4 hours now (towards my endo) and it's starting to come together but it's certainly a change when you do it first time no? First time I did it was with Ian also and I was ready to grab the stick and get out of there - I thought he's lost it and we were going to collide :)

Hope to see you up there again soon.

Guest davidh10

Yes, I really enjoy formation. Just past 50 hours (formation) now, but it is not a trivial skill to learn, and further you really need to know and trust the other pilots. There's also a big difference between just close proximity flying and actual formation. It is really good with with multiple aircraft, where you can have two elements interacting.

There's some formation videos on my YouTube channel.