Adelaide to Wollongong - tips?

Thirsty

Hi all,

Planning a trip from Adelaide to Wollongong next week and just after any tips anyone might have to offer when navigating around that area of nsw.

I'm particularly interested In routes into Wollongong and what to look out for ie local knowledge from those of you that know that area well. Also is it possible to tie down Our 160 for a few days at Wollongong without too many dramas?

Thanks all.

Hi Thirsty.

Nowra CTA and R420 are active during the week. They take a big chunk of airspace and unless you have a PPL make a coastal approach from the south a bit hard. Golbourn- Wollongong via Mittagong will keep you clear of the airspace and the country is much more inviting than that stuff to the south of this track. Tumut and Yass would be a good route to keep you away from Canberra airspace aswel.

The weather around Mittagong, bowral, exeter can get quite soupy when the conditions are right. This time of year you should be ok, but just keep an eye on it. Mittagong strip is ok if you need to get down, but I would reccomened going back to Golbourn in the 160, the hills on the end of 24 might get a little big in your windscreen if your heavy.

You can tie down at Wollongong no problems. Theres an area near the windsock (close to the cafe which sells top notch food).

Pm me if youd like my phone number, id be happy to help you asses the wx if its a bit iffy on the day.

Cheers

Hi merv, thanks very much for the info. Sounds like golbourn, mittagong and ywol is the way to go. I have a ppl But the aircraft isn't transponder equipped.

I can't work out how to send a pm via this forum so if you could email me your number to [email protected] I'll definitely take you up on your offer of a local weather report on the day,

Ta tony

I wouldn't bother going by mittagong unless you have to. You can to Goulburn to YWOL direct by overflying the airstrip at Marulin which is a good strip next to the highway. If you need coords for it I will happily give them to you.

Bluey.

The terrain just north of the direct route is pretty good as it will take you near Mossvale and Bowral which has good terrain all around. If you do the direct flight then you will be over tiger with paddocks to the north just a few miles or so away. I usually plot a direct route to Marulan and then on to Goulburn but avoid the tiger by staying within glide at all times. I find that by doing this I only add a few miles to my overall journey. Keep in mind though that I fly a trike.

Bluey.

You also have a good strip on the top of the escarpment just a few miles south east of Robertson right in front of the large radio masts as you head to YWOL. This strip is known as the robertson strip and should be plotted on the VNC chart for Sydney.

Bluey.