What checks do you do after the throttle is pushed home

Anything helps Powerin but the ATTITUDE is king. The attitude related to the power you have on .= same airspeed (weight remaining the same)Trim is used to remove control forces at the desired airspeed and power setting. You don't usually FLY the plane on trim. It's considered the wrong technique You CAN though, and sometimes you may be able to land the plane using it ( in an emergency)

On larger aircraft the trim will be set at a figure which considers the CofG, and weight so that the trim will be neutral at lift-off speed. This is probably what you would want to happen in most aircraft. Nev

I always think in terms of angle of attack rather than attitude, because an AoA within the limits is what keeps you flying, so to me AoA is king. Elevator/trim is what controls AoA. But I take your point that attitude is usually your best indicator of AoA and that's what you use to fly with. And yes, it would only be in an emergency that you would fly with trim, but the same idea would be valid if you had an indicator scale to tell you exactly where the stick was in it's elevator travel. I often wonder if the same thing would be a good stall danger indicator as you could tell where the stall stick position was.

However, I didn't think about CofG...which puts paid to the idea of dialing in an airspeed with trim/elevator if you don't have ASI. 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

In the end I guess you need to use whatever tools are available to fly the aeroplane! Sorry for the thread drift.

IF you had an AoA indicator you would be better equipped to fly a circuit on that than an ASI. You do have a good indication of where the elevator position is,. It's the stick. Stall stick position is handy as a concept too, but will vary with Cof G . and things like flap setting and the amount of power on. Nev

• Like 1

All depends on the aircraft!

I do glance at the ASI these days to see if it's moving in all aircraft, as one time I took off in the Drifter and was turning crosswind before I even looked down and noticed I had no airspeed indication. Went around the circuit and landed and fixed the problem - which was the pitot tube on the back of the pitot had come off.

But seriously, the more advance the aircraft the more careful you need to be. When I'm flying a CSU aircraft it's rpm/manifold pressure, ASI, and a quick glance at fuel flow, doesn't hurt.

Anyone should be able to fly without instruments, if you haven't done it yet and you've got a certificate/license, get an instructor in there with you and go do it till you can comfortably.

• Like 2

As most of us don't have attitude or directional instruments, they are not there to consult. but flying GA I used to monitor the DG, which I had set up at the start of the runway. Essential for night flying.