fuel gauge problem

does anyone if i could use any brand of fuel gauge as long as the ohms are the same as the old broken one , my westech died and was a 2c7 which is 240 ohms , so could i use another brand ?????mr badger

It's only a variable resistor, so as long as the resistance value at each end is the same, the brand shouldn't matter. Before you fit one to the tank, I'd connect it up and move the float to each end of the travel. One end should indicate 'full' and the other end 'empty'. If it doesn't either the gauge is broken or the sender resistances are incorrect. Hope that helps......................

Paul

thanx paul iwas talking about the gauge the tank unit is fine checked it all out with multi meter just wondering about the gauge thats all

mr baadger

Sorry saw the comment about resistance and assumed you meant the sender. OK it still applies in the reverse sense. The gauge needs to respond to a variable resistance from the sender which as you said is 240 Ohms which will be the 'empty' end of the sender. The low value you measure, probably either 70 Ohms or 10 Ohms will determine the 'full' measurement. Measure the minimum value with your meter. If you feed 12V through a resistor of that value, any suitable gauge should indicate 'full'. I'd go to a motor shop with a couple of resistors and a battery and have a play, or ask if they have the spec of the sender for any particular gauge and buy one that matches your sender.

Paul

All you need to do is calibrate the gauge, which is a normal requirement when you build a plane. Check the reading at different known fuel quantities, so that you know how much you have at each marking.