RA-Aus licence on way to PPL

Guest Mark_hwltt

Sometimes life gets in the way of your flying training. I started in GA at Camden (c150) - 20 years ago - ran out of money, but still loved it, and learnt to fly Hang Gliders - learnt a lot about what the wind & thermals do to aircraft, got the bug for flying bigger things so joined the sailplane club at Goulburn and learnt to fly sailplanes - another great learning experience, went back to GA and finished my PPL after first starting 15 years previously. Then bought a single seat ultralight (tailwheel) and converted to RAAus another learning experience.

To sum it up - my advice to a student pilot would be try some of it all, you'll have a better understanding of what suits you and avoid becoming a flying club bore who can only sit in the club house a berate all other types of aviation and aircraft .

Life is a journey not a destination .

So how many blokes/girls started their training in a 150 or a Tomahawk, or a Cub or a Moth for that matter?So how different is a Tomahawk( which I did 35 of my 50 Hrs training in) to a Foxbat/Jab/150/Eurofox, whatever?

Now befor you all say chalk and cheese, I know that, but seriously, we are talking about light to very(ultra?) light, two seat training aircraft with two places and 100 to 120 hp donks.

It comes down to the attitude of the trainee and the trainer, in my opinion; nothing to do with the aircraft.

All I ever wanted to do was low level single stuff, but old Jack was still trying to push the idea, gently of course, of twin convesion and IFR because, in his words, he had me measured for a pilot and that's what pilots did!

On an other tack, in my short 500hrs( actually, within 200hrs) I had been in comand of a Tomahawk, a Cherokee, 3 models of 172, a Foxbat A22 and an A22LS, and I will be shortly doing my BFR in a Grummen Tiger, and perhaps going for a spin in a trike.

I consider myself very luck to have a broad range of experience, no matter how short it is, as it all adds to the bank of knowledge.

I started in a tomohawk. Moved to a Cherokee, then a c172 then finally to RA. The move to the tecnam was easy and it was a dream to fly compared to those other hunks of metal.