visualising circuits on printed map

ayavner

How does everyone else work out when to turn mid downwind after joining mid field xwind? I just fly for an amount of time, don't know how much I just judge it. Curious to hear what others do.

I judge it so when I turn onto downwind my jury strut attachment to the main strut sits on the runway. I fly the trusty Thruster so LP, means I am at 500 agl. But doesn't matter if I fly a 1000agl circuit - still have the jury strut on the runway.

Pud

Thanks guys. Not sure what you mean OME about having my head in the cockpit during the circuit?

My bad.

My comment came about because I'm old-school and I to my way of thinking, all these electrical gadgets like glass cockpits, GPS devices, iPads, Smart phones, etc, etc and so forth, take away from the joy of being in the air and committing aviation. I haven't quite changed over to these portable devices. I'd rather kick the tyres, light the fires and flock off, and fly IFR (I follow roads). Mind you, I wouldn't ever think of taking off for a flight to Umberumbika without first having prepared a detailed flight plan, because that's another bit of fun I like - trying to make sure that I'm "on track, on time"

Now, having read your post, I get your drift. I do the same thing when I want to go somewhere, especially if I'm driving somewhere new. Before I go, I have a quick look at Goggle maps satellite view and get orientated. But I wouldn't print that view and refer to it while I'm driving. That's what I thought you were going to do.

Old Man Emu

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
for my sake...don't do timed circuits!They will only work in still air.....and are only "that much" short of my favorite hate......6 minute markers!!!..another abomination.

Timed circuits are a valid technique, although not for everyone. We don't all have the skill to judge with our 'MK I eyeballs', some people work better with numbers, others will not. It's all about working out what is right for the individual.

My bad.My comment came about because I'm old-school and I to my way of thinking, all these electrical gadgets like glass cockpits, GPS devices, iPads, Smart phones, etc, etc and so forth, take away from the joy of being in the air and committing aviation. I haven't quite changed over to these portable devices. I'd rather kick the tyres, light the fires and flock off, and fly IFR (I follow roads). Mind you, I wouldn't ever think of taking off for a flight to Umberumbika without first having prepared a detailed flight plan, because that's another bit of fun I like - trying to make sure that I'm "on track, on time"

Now, having read your post, I get your drift. I do the same thing when I want to go somewhere, especially if I'm driving somewhere new. Before I go, I have a quick look at Goggle maps satellite view and get orientated. But I wouldn't print that view and refer to it while I'm driving. That's what I thought you were going to do.

Old Man Emu

Thanks OME - I think alot of people skimmed my post and jumped up and down a bit unnecessarily, thinking I was asking for that. Nope. Not trying to perfect circuits by using a printed map. Simply idle curiousity :-)

My instructor says what I should be doing in between lessons is closing my eyes and visualising my way through the circuit, to help with my memory. This was just an aid for that for the seemingly endless days stuck in an office between lessons.

I am with you OME, I grew up on old British cars and anything more complicated than a nice black and white Smith's dial seems overkill to me :-)

My instructor says what I should be doing in between lessons is closing my eyes and visualising my way through the circuit, to help with my memory. This was just an aid for that for the seemingly endless days stuck in an office between lessons.

In that case, get a similar picture of any other strip and carry out the exercise with that strip. If you do it using your home strip, you already know where things should be happening. Go learn another strip.

OME