Old rotax

How long has someone had a rotax engine that is still being used in years , but never opened it up/changed seals etc.rotax say 5years but there must be some never touched for much longer?

• Like 1

What are you thinking of doing?

If an engine is sat idle for any prolonged period of time you get all sorts of problems coming up - leaking seals, brittle gaskets, carbys gunking up, ditto fuel lines, not to mention bore corrosion.

You MUST use an engine regularly and service it as required. I would not want to do otherwise with the piece of mechanical engineering that is sustaining your flight!

- boingk

Only had this one a short time was told that it had been started regular etc ????.used in powered parachute so engine outs may be a little less of a disaster if flying around a open field .i was wondering if there is even older engines still running fine without replacing seals etc .or should I be looking into tearing it down even when it s running sweet

Engines that only get started occasionally and never run up to full operating temperature for a good deal of time will have started to corrode. Generally any engine not run fully for a couple of weeks will have started to corrode internally. The worst possible thing anyone can do is simply turn the prop over every now and again on an engine that hasn't been used for a while - it scrapes any residual oils off the cylinder walls and the corrosion can start. It'll be worse on the coast generally.

Most rubber components and seals seem to have a 10-12 year expected life. There's a guy who owns an X-Air at the school in Goulburn who had an old "barn-find" rotax 503 in his machine for a short while I believe (robinsm on here) who could probably offer some very good advice.

That's all just from time hanging around the school and the LAME's learning to fly there - don't let me fool you into thinking i really know what i'm talking about!

5 year overhaul is something to be mindful of, and if yours is 9 then I'd go for seals and gaskets at the very minimum, assuming bores and pistons are alright. I would consider at least a topend bearing as well, as two strokes really do thrive on use and neglect will only yeild failure.

- boingk