Fuel storage at the airstrip

Guest Rocko

Guest Rocko

Hi Folks

Just thought I'd mention my experiences when trying vainly to work out a feasible fuel storage system for my use at the airstrip.

First idea was Jerry cans. I find them impractical, as I either bring out what I need only, or have to leave them in the fuel shed, where they blow up like balloons in the heat. Not a good solution. Especially when they're difficult to earth properly.

Next, thought I'd try a 60L drum and rotary hand pump. Thought 60L would be a good size, and small enough to be manouverable. Bought a cheap Alemite 501A rotary hand pump. The drum was another matter. Due to EPA regulations, no-one can "give" you one anymore, as everyone I rang told me they needed to keep account of them. Had hells own time tracking one down! Stupid, that 44 gallon drums are a dime a dozen, and they chuck them in the trash without thought!

Finally found one, went to Super Cheap and bought a trolley to stick it on, strapped it down with ratchet straps, and stuck in the hand pump. Then I sat back and admired my efforts.

Until I tried using it, and found it was completely screwed. First, with anything close to 60L in the drum, fuel poured out of the seal around the pump entry whenever I moved it around on the trolley. This kept the usable fuel down to 40L...might as well use 2 jerry cans!! Then, the pump spurted fuel everywhere every time you used it, as it needed priming. Got us and the aircraft all soaked in fuel regularly. :;)1:

So, got rid of the 60L drum idea, and stuck on a 44 gallon (205L) drum. Much more practical. However, the cheap pump (still cost $130!!) showed itself to be the cheap nasty thing it was, still spraying fuel everywhere, and pumping in a jerky manner. Add this to the fact it was then impossible to handle both the pump handle, the nozzle, and keep the Mr Funnel secure, during filling, and it was always a 2 person job. Then, after we dropped the Mr Funnel nozzle extension into the tank, requiring 2 bloody hours with a bit of wire trying to get it out, I realised this was not going to be a feasible option.

So, on the advice of the flight instructor, I went out and spent $600 bucks on a McNaught Rapid Flo GP rotary hand pump and 10 micron fuel filter.

Unlike the pump, which did 18L per minute IF you were lucky, the Rapid Flo (which is recommended for aviation usage) does 100L per minute. Takes about 30 seconds to fill my plane, The filter separates everything nasty from the fuel, and it's a VERY easy one-person job to fill the plane now. I tend to keep around 80L in the drum, to make it easy to move around, and use a cheap black funnel to fill it from the jerry cans. You can even secure the nozzle onto the pump body with a padlock, to stop anyone nicking your fuel!

It's expensive, but has a 10 year warranty. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for, and for most of us, this will last a lifetime of use.

So, if anyone's considering using bulk fuel storage for their planes, don't screw around and waste money on junk. Get a 44 gallon clean drum (produce places have them), a McNaught Rapid Flo GP with filter, and a 300KG trolley from Super cheap, and make it easy on yourself!

This is the pump. Spend the money, and you'll be real happy with it.

http://www.macnaught.com.au/aboutUs/rapidFlo.html

http://www.macnaught.com.au/aboutUs/AccesoriesFuelfilter.html

Just remember to get the GB filter for the GP pump....or it won't fit 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers,

Scotty

I use a 205l drum which came from Old Station with a fairly cheap hand pump and it works OK.

I also use a couple of 20 l plastic jerry cans, designed to carry petrol, but at Gladstone airport they will not allow filing of plastic cans and look sideways at filling 205l drums. They claim that they could be held responsible for any dirt or contaminants in the drum. I can fill jerry cans by getting into the refuelling ares and using my fuel card without aerodrome staff seeing me, but to fill the drum I have to get them to open the double gates for vehicle access. Beaurocracy as usual gone mad, but the ground staff display common sense.

There is now a problem with 205 L (44 gal) drums - OH&S regs mean that from March 2007 bulk delivery drivers are not allowed to fill them. So the only answer for bulk deliveries is bulk tanks.

So I threw out my 6 44s and bought 2 tanks on stands - 600 L each - one for diesel and one for unleaded, that I use in my trike. $400 each, second hand, which is pretty good value. Getting it out is simple gravity feed..

There is now a problem with 205 L (44 gal) drums - OH&S regs mean that from March 2007 bulk delivery drivers are not allowed to fill them. So the only answer for bulk deliveries is bulk tanks. So I threw out my 6 44s and bought 2 tanks on stands - 600 L each - one for diesel and one for unleaded, that I use in my trike. $400 each, second hand, which is pretty good value. Getting it out is simple gravity feed..

G'day Bushpilot,

Do you know what the OH&S issue with the 205 drums is... :;)5:

Cheers

G'day Bushpilot,Do you know what the OH&S issue with the 205 drums is... :;)5:

Cheers

Apparently the fuel delivery guys are no longer allowed to lift the handpumps out the drums, to fill them; and not allowed to reach, or stoop, or climb. So even above ground bulk tanks have to have bottom fill snap-lock pipes and connectors.. Where will it all stop..:confused:

Goodaye Ian,

I have not had a problem to date having my BP Avgas 44's filled at G'stone airport.

But I will add the proviso that it has been 6 months since the last fill.

Regards,

Rick :big_grin:

Guest The Bushman

Hi Fellow aviators we resolved the problem of fuel filling and storage, as we have some high wing aircraft and some so not, We purchased a 60 lt drum from a garage as they are used for oil and are none returnable welded a fitting on the bottom to take a 3/4 inch hose and ball valve fitted it to a trolly with a winch to raise the brum to the height that is required to feed the fuel into the Aircraft tank and as a added mod put a 3/4 plastic Elbow in the end stand on a Milk crat and control your full filling

The Item was shown in the RAAus mag some months ago and a Static strp fitted