T-bird II

Tomo

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Tbirds have been around for a long time Tomo, since the early 80s at least. Not the prettiesty of aircraft but have a good history over the years of standing up to the action..........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks guys, yeah that's the one we're talking about - ferrying it home for the new owner in a week or so, looks like a great plane - never really heard about them till I got the call to help with this one. Been researching a bit, seems they are a pretty universal airframe, can even put a 912 ULS on 'em!

Guest Maj Millard

Should be a fun ride Tomo, they are sort of a copy of the Eipper Quicksilver MXL2, but on steroids, and with the cockpit enclosure. Should make for a comfortable ride.

Don't know if the Tbird has the same chararistic, but the MXL2 was one to watch with only one in the cockpit, especially if that one was on the light side. (I'm 69 Kg)

Problem was if the engine quit, and because it was a big draggy machine, it would want to loose airspeed very quickly, even with the stick full on the foward stop !...

I was warned about this when flying the MXL2 solo as I did often, and I went up to try it for myself one day. With plenty of altitude and knowing it was coming, I cut the power and put the stick full foward, but still the airspeed rapidly decreased to a dangerous level. I couldn't believe it !..Finally the nose dropped and I got flying speed back again, but at the cost of 200-300 feet !. As you can imagine this could be a big problem if you were below 300 feet, and suffered a full engine failure !...

Solution was to make sure you had weight in the passenger seat, and then there wasn't any problem. Some lightweight owners even flew around with strapped in sandbags.The MXL2 was a fun ride and a big strong capable machine, I flew many rides in the MXL2 and enjoyed each and all...Enjoy the ferry Tomo, we'll await your full report on the trip and aircraft, with lots of photos I hope !!...................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif