GA GFPT to RA

Jwh

Hi, new here and have a few questions

I recently decided to get back into flying

In approx 2006/2007 I stopped flying GA due to being relocated with work and a number of other reasons.

I had achieved/passed GA GFPT with about 12 hours solo and done about 4 navs (basically ready to sit PPL THEORY exam)

My goal is to eventually buy my own aircraft, hence why I am considering RA. A few questions I have are..

How much of my above experience counts towards a RA licence? Even though it has been 5 years?

What sort of training do I need to get a RA licence given this experience?

Does a RA licence cover weight shift micro light trikes? Or do I need a HGFA certificate?

I may consider the purchase of a microlight, so this adds another factor to think about

Basically I am trying to decide.. Go get a RA licence or go back and finish GA PPL?!

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Jwh, I'll try to briefly answer your questions.

As a CASA GFPT holder, assuming still current, you will be treated as a conversion so min 5 hrs time and or more to satisfaction of the training RA instructor/school.Mainly to ensure you understand satisfactorily low energy/inertia light sport and or low performance aircraft types.Obviosly you don't have full PPL priveledges yet so further endorsements can be provided under the RA banner. You will need to provide documentation to verify your current CASA priveledges.

You will need to do at least RA air legislation exam and Human Factors assuming you have FROL.(Radio).

Weight shift endorsement is separate and this will most likely take more time but this again will depend on your adaptabilility to higher drag low weight and weight shift principles- seek out a good school is my advice. RA has a number of high quality instructors that can give you the training to add to your Pilot certificate when you are ready.This can all be done within the RA-Aus syllabus and an appropriate school/s

You don't state where you reside but I can provide some more detail if in SE Qld area.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

• Informative 1