Police Aircraft

According to the Sydney Daily Telegraph today Police aircraft (in certain circumstances) will now be allowed to fly with their navigation lights switched off.

Extrapolating on that - is the aircraft following you in the circuit a normal GA/Ultralight or is it actually an unmarked police aircraft!

Flying Booze Buses? Exceeding the downwind speed limit? Flying over a school zone in restricted hours?

Sorry.....medication hasn't kicked in yet.

Cheers.......Doug

Guest brentc
aren't all police aircraft rotary wing anyway?

Nope!

1_police.jpg

With the use of ATC radar there is little chance of any danger due to a police aircraft without lights. Primary Radar will detect even a flock of birds at 30+ miles, so with ATC in communications with the aircraft there is little danger of collision.

It is rumoured that this WA police aircraft was seized from a crime at some stage.

Guest bateo

Police do use fixed wing.. (mostly un-marked) for Surveying and investigating an area.. E.g Illegal operations on private land etc.

I have seen a Cessna 210 in operation few years back doing just that, looking like a very nice presented private aircraft! But 4 investigators stepped out.

Authorities such as fisheries and Pol-Air also run Single and twin aircraft based at Bankstown.

If permitted in circumstances to allow navigation lights being switched off is factual, I would believe that all bases would be covered by Radar.. I understand why they might need to do this in certain operations.

Also, Speaking to a pilot from Pol-Air last month, the pilots employed under-go regular training each month to keep current in such situations. If any collision were to occur, it would be at very minimal chance.

Guest Fred Bear

Nice PC-12. They do whatever they want around our area too. Have been for months on end preparing for APEC. They fly over at 500ft, hover around and play games most days. I get my binos out and I can see them. Gloves, helmets and all looking down. Good stuff!!! Their new bird (which I got to see before it even went into service) VH-PHW even has blue and red bar lights like a police car on both sides. Awesome to watch at night! :) They do come over here at night too low level and no lights. Scary when you don't know where they are you just hear the sound. Army has been doing it with their Blackhawks here lately too.

Below is a very bad pic I know but I ran in and grabbed the cam at the last minute and snapped away. This will give you an idea how low they fly over our place.

PS This one is definately not going into the comp!!

Guest brentc

Darren I think my attached pic is the same chopper as what you have got a pic of there.

This was taken on 3/1/2005 at Bankstown.

The second pick is a new chopper at Moorabbin. Without being cheeky, see if you can guess what it might be used for 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

1_PolAir.JPG

1_chopper.jpg

Guest Fred Bear

Yes Brent the first is indeed the same PHB except your shot is a little better 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif If that guy was not standing over the rego in the second pic I could have a real good guess!!! I can't answer without being too rude 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif National Parks?

Guest brentc

I have a pic of the other side somwhere however it wouldn't help you as it's foreign. From memory, it's JXXXXT something.

Guest brentc

Yes, I was just joking that it might be a police helicopter given we were talking about police aircraft, however I didn't wanna spell it out as there are a few of them (police) on this forum.

Better check my tyres and not speed from now on.