Allegro 2000 vs. 2007

flindersflyer

I'll offer you some observations, albeit with not many hours in the Allegro 2000.

It was my conversion aircraft from GA to RAA and I noticed that it:

1) flew nicely,

2) had reasonable performance,

3) had no momentum once the engine was cut (not unusual for a RAA aircraft), and

4) had an over center feel to the ailerons so it was easy to over control.

cheers

Steve

Hi, I hope this helps you along with Steves comments.

I've owned a 2000 for a couple of years and am completely happy with it. The following are a few points for your consideration, starting at pre flight:

1. Pre flight is generally easy but the access to the oil filler is a bit awkward and if you drop the cap you may have to take off the top cowl to retrieve it - if it doesn't fall out the bottom onto the dirt! Inspection of the top surface of the elevator needs a step ladder. All other parts are easy to do. The spats need to be removed periodically to check the brake linings. Easy to do with just 5 small bolts securing them.

2. Start up & warm up. Straight forward but you will need to customise your start up proceedure as the fuel cock/mag/ign switch/fuel pump controls seem placed to deliberately muck up a flowing proceedure. Warm up is straight forward at 2000 rpm for about a minute then 2500 til 50 degrees of oil temp reached. This can take quite a while during winter but is usually accomplished during a warm up/taxi of about 10min in summer. Have never had an issue with overheating and have operated mine in some hot conditions.

3. Take off with one stage of flap, a pilot and 55ltrs gives a breathtaking performance due to the need to keep the speed down below 60knts (flap extension speed). Rate of climb is about 1400'/min continuous and an eye to the temp gauge needed. A flapless take off still gives better than average performance and the added speed is good if something unexpected happens (like the noise stopping). A little higher speed gives a slightly longer time to react.

4. Cruise is at 5200rpm and 100kts and 18ltrs/hr on the knocker. However I generally cruise at 5000/95/16ltr for a little less stress. With two average size people, 7kg luggage and 55ltrs an excellent range is achieved. This will have you landing before the bum gets numb. Coffee and a stretch good too. The aircraft requires flying, as do most RA aircraft but it can be elevator trimmed. I have found that correctly trimmed it can be a hands off if needed to make a note on the flight pad and right handed. If you are left handed - lucky you. The comfort is quite good even though the seats are not excessively padded. I have had a couple of bolster cushions made up with high density foam from Clark Rubber @ about $30 for the rubber & $80 for the upholstry trimmer. Use them most of the time and although I am 180cm can still just fit without my head touching the internal metal cage. The seats are adjustable over a large area and I have mine as low as possible and a fair way back. All controls are easy to access except the carby heat which needs just a tad of stretch and removal of the hand from the stick to do so. Mine is fitted with an X-Com 360 radio capable of dual watch - great little unit. Visibility is incredible to the front and sides with the expected restriction to the rear and rear quarters. The screen extends rearward over the pilots head and is helpful on occassions when turning etc.

5. On the control side of things, the roll is a bit heavy whilst the pitch is a bit sensitive. You get used to it fairly readily though and after a bit does not present any issues. You have to fly the aircraft when turning and rudder is required every time. Once again, this is fairly normal for this generation of aircraft.

6. Landing with one stage of flap needs to be carried out not above 60knts and can result, in windy conditions, with a bit of twitchiness around 50knts - just need to be alert to it and prepared to fly the aircraft. I operate in a sometimes busy airport with plenty of runway and so, to keep up with teh GA aircraft, do most of the approach at 70knts, flapless. Gives a lot more responsive control but more ground float and roll. If you wish to do a two stage of flap landing it may be best to let anything else in the circuit know as you will be very slow and almost vertical. The huge flaps act like the proverbial barn door. The ground roll is very short though.

7. Being composite fuselage and metalwing is a great combination. The internal construction with a metal cockpit subframe a terrific safety feature.

8. Mine is a 100hp unit but I believe there are some with 80hp also - I'd say go the 100.

9. The standard aircraft is quite well equipped with instruments, mine having: altimeter, tacho, fuel pressure, slip (not T & B), vert indicator, tacho, oil pressure, oil temp, cyl head temp, hr meter and carby heat. One complaint is that the hr meter is on when the ign is on. Mine has wing tanks & as such cranks hrs up when using the pump to fill them from the mains - yes, a bit different in that you have to fill the mains, them pump up from the mains to the wing and when the wings are full top up the mains. Uplift transfer rate is about 2 ltrs /min I think - the internal diameter of the fuel line is something like 3mm so fairly restricting. Each wing tank takes 20ltrs.

10. By the way, stall with nil flap is around 43 and full flap 37knts.

11. Great little aeroplane, good for cruising around the local area and for cross country trips alike. the reliability of a Rotax.

12. Insurance easy to get.

13, Parts fairly easy to get but may be a bit slow and need to ask more than once if getting locally in Oz.

14. Don't see them on the second hand market all that often, a good one should be around $60-$70k with less than 500hrs.

Cheers,

Joe plane.gif

• Like 2

I think JabiruJoe has summed up the Allegro nicely. Some observations from mine (which incidentally is for sale - http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/fantasy-air-allegro-2000.48603/)

1. Pre flight is generally easy but the access to the oil filler is a bit awkward and if you drop the cap you may have to take off the top cowl to retrieve it - if it doesn't fall out the bottom onto the dirt! Inspection of the top surface of the elevator needs a step ladder.

I always take the top cowl off, as the coolant bottle is hidden well out of sight of the oil hatch. For the top of the elevator inspection I just push the tail down.

2. Start up & warm up. Straight forward but you will need to customise your start up proceedure as the fuel ****/mag/ign switch/fuel pump controls seem placed to deliberately muck up a flowing proceedure. Warm up is straight forward at 2000 rpm for about a minute then 2500 til 50 degrees of oil temp reached. This can take quite a while during winter but is usually accomplished during a warm up/taxi of about 10min in summer. Have never had an issue with overheating and have operated mine in some hot conditions.

Agree that the ergonomics may not have been thought through completely, but I've experienced worse! Mine warms up quite quickly (5-6 min), but does have the oil thermostat. Mine runs in the bottom of the green - but I am in Victoria!

4. Cruise is at 5200rpm and 100kts and 18ltrs/hr on the knocker. However I generally cruise at 5000/95/16ltr for a little less stress. ....and although I am 180cm can still just fit without my head touching the internal metal cage

I must have a coarser prop, as I generally cruise at 4400-4500 for 95knots and 13-14l/hr.

I believe that the 2007 model does have more headroom (and a bigger rudder?). I'm 176cm and fit in very comfortably - if you were 190cm and up you may have an issue fitting in the 2000.

5. On the control side of things, the roll is a bit heavy whilst the pitch is a bit sensitive. You get used to it fairly readily though and after a bit does not present any issues. You have to fly the aircraft when turning and rudder is required every time. Once again, this is fairly normal for this generation of aircraft.

Agree, that controls aren't as well balanced as some other aircraft - first few times I flew it the large convex perspex doors 'popped' in as I flew sideways everywhere! After learning in a Texan, where you only used the rudder pedals to turn while taxying, it took me a couple of hours to learn how to do a balanced turn. If you've ever flown tailwheels or gliders you'll have no problems.

6. If you wish to do a two stage of flap landing it may be best to let anything else in the circuit know as you will be very slow and almost vertical. The huge flaps act like the proverbial barn door. The ground roll is very short though.

Stage 2 of flap turns it into a completely different aircraft! There is quite a large pitch change, and you do go very slow - useful if you share a circuit with Drifters!

14. Don't see them on the second hand market all that often, a good one should be around $60-$70k with less than 500hrs.

As above, mine is reluctantly for sale - I'm going back to school next month, and won't have a lot of time left over for going flying.

Mal

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up guys. I appreciate your time and input. I'll keep in mind that you are ready to release yours. I may be looking for one in the next few months. Have looked at many aircraft now and prefer something for long distance. At the same time I'm drawn towards tail draggers as recently I have been flying an early Lightwing, which at first seemed a real bitch and was like a truck in comparison to other aircraft I've had the opportunity to fly, but I've recently come to terms with the way it flies and enjoy the exhilarating and invigorating feeling and the way in which it makes one more alert to flying. So I'm also going to check out some tail draggers before I make a decision. Course then I have to approach the finance minister and get the all clear. So far she hasn't said no, so that's a promising sign. Once again thanks for your input.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 3 months later...

Flindersflyer,

I can help you, I have an Allegro 2000 and have flown the 2007 at Piscek in the Czech Replublic. Firstly the my 2000 has an Rotax 100 HP motor and is almost a STOL without the drag issues. I take off from an airfield at 3550 feet above sea level, I only need about 120 metres to be in the air. Also landing with flaps in No 2 setting you come in like a Stuka dive bomber. The plane is ecomonical and it is a joy to fly its gliding abilty is really great. However when you have all that wing area and a relatively light aircraft it can be bumpy on a hot day and I find I tend to drop the speed a bit. The 2007 I flew at Piseck only had a 80 HP motor which I needed to get use too. Quite noticable was the incresed dihedral to the wings of the 2007. The flying conditions did not look good as the tress where nearly horizontal with the wind that was blowing at the time. Jacob of Fanasty Air was continuously apologising about the flying conditions. Well the 2007 was an absoulute delight to fly in those conditions, it is very stable the increased dihedral and the changed tail fin really work well. It is a great aircraft. Allegro in America were looking at a kit to increase the dihedral on the 2000's but it seems to have slowed down on the project. This will give me the incentive to see how they are going.

Allegro 2000

• Like 1

Flindersflyer,

Just adding that JabiruJoe has sumed it up well in terms of operating the aircraft. I deviate slightly from the book. First inital climb, get rid of the flaps at 100 feet then climb at 70 knots (rather than the 55 kts in the Manual), this gives you a flatter climb which allows to go to glide quicker if you have a engine out. Most takeoffs I don't use flaps as you don't need them with the 100 HP motor, the Allegro will outclimb a Jab using flaps. For strong cross wind landings do not use flaps I tend to come in at 75 knots. I have discussed these with Joseph ( not Jacob as I noted before) of Fanastay Air, when I was in Piseck, and got a warm smile as assurance that this is was a good way to do it.

Allegro 2000

• Like 1