Triking History at YFT 2013

Triking history in Australia is achieved at Yarrawonga Flight Training on Thursday, 17th January 2013 with 'First of Type' ~ QCS - CAO 95.32 by the General Importer - Chris Brandon.

The stylish Air Creation, Tanarg 912s (100hp) BioniX 13 microlight is awarded, RA-Aus Compliance Acceptance with full registration - CAO 95.32 with CASA & RA-Aus audit approval.

Clever Reason, Reliable Performance.. Safety without Compromise.

See more here to - Satisfly... your Passion.!

• Like 2

Air Creation ~ Tanarg 912s - BioniX 13 - News: Peter, at YFT has 25 hrs flight time so far in his new machine. All in tough rough air conditions- 20/25 knots+, and always a cross-wind!

A smooth day must be just around the corner, where Peter can offer us a real opinion on the finest microlight you can fly now in Australia.

Stay tuned..!

Safe flights.

Chris

Latest news update on the Air Creation ~ Tanarg 912s - BioniX 13 trike by Peter McLean at YFT:

So how does it fly?

I basicly grow roots into the aircraft each time I get into it. I love it and it handles like a dream. But it is different to the other Trikes I have flown. The rough stuff I can feel and I guess I feel it a bit more than in an XT-912 Arrow, but it is smoother. The speed range is about the same, however you can't compair the landing the Tanarg B13 combo lands like it is on rails. I landed to nights ago in a 35kt x-wind and it was great. by the way I did go up for a second flight. I did compare the XT-912 Arrow with the Tanarg B13 in the same conditions and the Tanarg wins hands down.

Have I flown Chris's Tanarg?

Yes I am the only other person that Chris has let fly his aircraft without him in it. He told me that it would be a bit heavier on the controls. I didn't find this at all. I through it around the sky like a sports car.

Any difference?

Yes the B13 is heaps better in so many ways. I cut the power on the B13 and glided 5nm from 2500 feet and was still 1400 feet above the runway. I can land at 40kts or 60kts it makes no difference in the handling. I am still finding out about the B13 and I have only flown about 20 hours in it.

I would say to anyone thinking about get a Tanarg to look at the B13 first, before going to any of the other wings.

All the best

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

40 Hour Flight Report on YFT - Tanarg 912s BioniX 13 by Peter McLean:

Here is Peter's latest update on the flight characteristics, although the weather has not been so kind with smooth air..

REPORT: Now 40 hours of flight time in TB-13. Still not had great weather.

Generally the conditions have been cross-wind and up to 30 Knots.

Aircraft handles crosswind take-offs like the aircraft is on rails, with very little deviation of its track forward.

Flying through turbulence, which has been common this summer, the aircraft cops the same bumps as every other one I have flown, however, the turbulence is dampened, and I don't feel the jarring that I feel in some other aircraft.I conducted a 360o turn in reasonably heavy turbulence and the wind was blowing 25-30 kts. The aircraft continued to turn to the right without over-banking. I have not had this before.

In lighter winds and lesser turbulence, I can fly the aircraft hands off and with the wing trimmed, it maintains altitude and airspeed beautifully.

LANDINGS:

In nil wind conditions you put the aircraft on a stabilized approach path and the aircraft will land itself.

With stronger winds, only minor control movements are required on final, to bring the aircraft down on a stabilized approach path.

Crosswinds, and BOY! do I know about cross-winds, because that seems to be all that we are getting at the moment. The Tanarg handles the cross-winds very well. I put this down to the winglets. Using my cross-wind technique, the landing is nearly effortless, with only minor corrections needed to counteract the mechanical turbulence.

OVERVIEW:

All in all, I love the aircraft, and from the first flight to the fortieth hour, the wing is getting better and better. Some of the turbulence I have flown in, I have noticed that I need more strength to counteract a wing-lift, but this is only in strong, gusty winds and turbulence.

The instrumentation has been great, despite problems with the compass and GPS within the Enigma. The manuals are less than helpful, just like the manufacturer of the Enigma.

But MGL Avionics in the US, with only one email from me had the whole thing sorted in a matter of minutes. I am now extremely happy with the Enigma.

Training from the rear seat is surprisingly easy, which WAS something I was concerned about.

Seat-belts stay in place and do not ride up around your neck during flight, and the storage areas on the trike are second to none, and fully accessible during flight.

Having a dashboard at the front allows you to put your charts and ERSA in a safe accessible place, without them blowing away.

I have had a number of rear seat passengers of different shapes and sizes, both old and young, and they have had no problems getting in and out of the aircraft. They also remark positively on visibility and the roominess of the cockpit.On ground steering is also very easy compared to all the other aircraft I have flown. The nose wheel naturally wants to stay straight.

Foot pedals are very comfortable, both front and rear, and brakes and throttle are very easy for the student to get used to...

All the best

Peter.

[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Fly Like An Eagle YFT... the latest edition to Peters Tanarg BioniX 13 machine:

Formation training is strongly followed by many YFT pilots and Peter reports the B13 performs extremely well as lead aircraft.

Although there is almost 10 knots variation in aircraft types for the true airspeed which has dampened the enthusiasm of a few Arrow pilots not really flying at 70 knots (indicated ASI), a more realistic 60 knots is the actual speeds Peter is confirming by GPS and the Enigma console ASI.

We have created the latest video of the flight formation training at Yarrawonga...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/fLnRk5mCnw0

Guest Andys@coffs
.........Yes the B13 is heaps better in so many ways. I cut the power on the B13 and glided 5nm from 2500 feet and was still 1400 feet above the runway.......Peter

Ok so 5nm for a decrease of 1000ft.......

Google convert 5nm to ft...answer 30380ft so we have a glide ratio of >30:1 Im impressed!!! In fact so impressed that I note my B/S detector is going gangbusters.......I guess we need a bit more info like:-

• Winds at the time speed/direction

• Trike heading so can work out wind relativity

• what does "Cut the power mean" I can do that on climb to cut back to merely cruise and I dont drop at all does that mena my old 582 is even better?......

Please if we are going to quote performance figures make sure enough info is posted so that people cant be mislead into thinking one thing when in reality

30:1 is well into the envelope for a proper GRP 3 axis glider and anyone comparing a trike to a glider in terms of L:D would normally be doing so to highlight opposite ends of the spectrum.. not to compare neighbours......

Andy

Ok so 5nm for a decrease of 1000ft.......Google convert 5nm to ft...answer 30380ft so we have a glide ratio of >30:1 Im impressed!!! In fact so impressed that I note my B/S detector is going gangbusters.......I guess we need a bit more info like:-

• Winds at the time speed/direction

• Trike heading so can work out wind relativity

• what does "Cut the power mean" I can do that on climb to cut back to merely cruise and I dont drop at all does that mena my old 582 is even better?......

Please if we are going to quote performance figures make sure enough info is posted so that people cant be mislead into thinking one thing when in reality

30:1 is well into the envelope for a proper GRP 3 axis glider and anyone comparing a trike to a glider in terms of L:D would normally be doing so to highlight opposite ends of the spectrum.. not to compare neighbours......

Andy

Probably got the idle set a bit (lot) high ;)