Life's Just Grand

PaulN

Man, what a lovely afternoon!! An old friend (like 89) asked to go flying with me today. The sky here was just perfect, not a bump to be found anywhere and clear as a bell. So what does one do on days like these ... go to the snow of course. I felt sad and glad for poor old Werner. As he was gazing at the beauty passing below he sighed saying "I probably won't see this again".

Here's a few shots to share.

I just love this flying stuff :big_grin:

Paul

2086905787_Snow1.jpg.11ef2b33ac985b7799544903f4c65d3e.jpg

1815301506_Snow4.thumb.jpg.a8138d5d20a9292c0017a486b1d445f4.jpg

1545150955_Snow7.jpg.74c0dddf063dcbc86b1d60da7d096677.jpg

2114452261_Snow2.thumb.jpg.7caad78f66ef993c4ede1c64fb8b2837.jpg

808027573_Snow12.jpg.ffe986d094d238b53ddc13df78816a90.jpg

250314990_Snow13.jpg.2a4bce209d50a5b1d99b93aef0247bb4.jpg

Fantastic photos Paul - how'd you manage to write in the snow like that?

Must use that type of signage for my next cross country - save carry maps......;)

Seriously though magnificent gesture and obviously really appreciated by your friend - it's lovely when we can share this passion. Well done. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Cheers.......Doug

Hi Doug

"Paint Shop Pro X" allows you to insert text and rotate it and change its style and colours etc. I have not mastered all its features yet and there are probably plenty of other photo handling programs that allow text insertion.

I used it to add a white strip to a very old photo of a cricket team near Newcastle that I had scanned and then entered the team members names in that white space on the JPG photo file so that they become part of the newly saved photo on disk which I then printed out for the family member that owned the original photo.

Have a look at my Jabiru Kit build thread on this site to see some more examples- not comprehensive as I have not figured it all out yet.

Regards

Lovely photos, but a bit too cold for my liking. Your old friend should be able to see that sort of thing for a few more years, there is an 85 year old in the Dawson Valley area who still flies his Jabiru, in fact he seems to get around better in the air than on the ground.

Hi Ross - that's the problem with emails - you can't see the facial expressions. I will shamefully admit I was being facetious (which by the way is one of the few words in the English language that has all the vowels in order of appearance!) and was fully aware of capabilties of various photo editing programmes. I use Adobe Photoshop myself.

Again, sorry you misunderstood - I thought the winking smiley would be the give away.

Cheers........Doug

Guest Emma Masters

They are awesome pic's...Thanks! I think thats one flight i would love, to fly over the snow!

Hi Doug

My apologies too. I realise that often that these posts may be misunderstood both by the reader and by the sender's bad choice of words or lack of explanation.

I include myself on both sides of that equation.

As you have said because many of us don't know one another personally and we cannot see or hear one another like we would in a face to face conversation it is not difficult to get offside with one another. We also know very little of the situation of each other like our levels of experience or lack of it, qualifications, access to software, tools, expertise or lack of it, personal sensitivities etc etc.

All of these and many I have not mentioned make our communications difficult especially between those of us not personally known to one another.

My defence against this problem is generally to be more verbose in my posts and to try and get a non antagonistic explanation across which sometimes may achieves just the opposite effect.

It may be that I or we are telling my Grandmother how to suck eggs (as the old saying goes) and am not aware that I or we are doing it.

Regards

Ross - One of the good things about our hobby is that we have the capability to actually meet at some point in time.

Trust me, as soon as I've built my aircraft I'll be doing a lot of cross country flying and putting faces to names....:)

I put the smiley in there 'cos if you read it the wrong way it sounds like a threat!

Cheers........Doug

Guest Vigilant

From a look at the pics a memory that Werner will cherish, I hope I am so lucky to have an opportunity as his when in my later years - better still if I am still flying! ;)

Guest floatHigh

Thanks for the photos Paul, ..mountains provide us with a most exhilarating view.

Those are cheaper than going to NZ! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest osprey5

Hi Paul - I take it you have cabin heat!

Any idea what the outside temp was?

Great photos' and isn't it great taking up people who really appreciate it.

I took a bloke up at Camden Haven who was visiting the flyin and he was blown away flying over his home town and seeing the quarry that he drives past every day.

G'day Mike,

Great weekend at Camden Haven, eh? Yes, it leaves you feeling pretty good when able to share the privileges we enjoy up there.

While over the snow at 10k the OAT was +2.7C on my panel and inside was 22C. Yep the cabin heat works just fine.

I reckon that quarry at North Haven has to be the neatest on the east coast, complete with olympic pool :big_grin:.

I overflew your home strip on return home from Port yesterday, looked pretty quiet from where I was viewing.

Cheers,

Paul