Need some "OUTBACK" info.

RetiredRacer

Need some "OUTBACK" info.

We're returning from Vic back to SE QLD via the red centre. Because we are not 100% sure the departure day from W'bool we are not booking ahead but at this stage we are planning to be departing Monday the 11th. One of the reasons we're not too concerned about booking ahead, is we will have our camping gear with us. Robyn (the wife) is the adventurous type so she is just as happy camping as taking accommodation. But her sister ( who has never been camping and cannot believe people want to sleep in the dirt. YUCK!!!!! ) cannot believe I would let Robyn sleep in a tent out whoop whoop. I told her Robyn is too big for a dingo to drag off but it's not the dingo's she is concerned about. Has she got a point???

We're looking at staying in accommodation if it is available and if we don't have to re-mortgage the house to do so. Our overnight stops are planed to be; Arkaroola, Coober Pedy (underground if we can), Curtin Springs (near Uluru), William Creek and then somewhere between there and home if we need to. Are there any of these places you would recommend not camping at? And advise us to book ahead?

Places we plan to get fuel and places we plan to drop into for a rest and top up the tanks; Renmark, Arkaroola, Cooper Pedy, Ayers Rock, Oodnadatta, William Creek, Birdsville and where ever else we stop on our way home. Before I ring and arrange fuel, is there any of these you don't recommend and do you recommend an alternative?

Thanks

Been to most of these places. My advice would be...Contact Renmark and Arkaroola re fuel. Oondadatta has a call out fee on top of the expensive fuel (not a problem for some) You will need an ASIC card for Birdsville. White Cliffs NSW is a good stop, hotel will pick up and organise fuel. Cadney park roadhouse with accomodation and fuel is a good stop up that way. Port Pirie has Visa card fuel.

Have a good trip

Phil.

Hi Bob

Cadney YCHD is on the Stuart hwy, last stop before Marla.

Great overnight stay. Would pay to book a room or camping area on site if you frefer.

We enjoyed our stay enroute Alice.

Cheers

Phil

I would recommend Arkaroola as a place to stop. You need to spend a day or two there.

The strip can be tricky depending on aircraft performance, pilot experience and weather conditions.

Caravan park/camping and motel there + tours. Usually fuel available but check. PPR 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Rawnsly Park (YRYK) (near Wilpena Pound) has fuel, caravan park and accommodation + tours / walks. We enjoyed our overnight stay there. PPR

I would avoid Ayres Rock if you can. Landing charges $55 for first 24 hours then parking $38.50/day. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Everything else there is expensive also. ASIC

William Creek has fuel and some basic accommodation but not real flash. Worth a stop for lunch at the pub. PPR 105_score_005.gif.29b9721292c32c48200a541087178fbf.gif

Coober Pedy has a caravan park/camping area but you would probably be better off trying an underground motel.

When we were there a couple of years ago we got a lift into town with the refueler (but there is a H24 swipe card bowser there now) and back per the motel. ASIC

Have a good trip.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif