Mini or larger Ipads

Guest Vortex

Guest Vortex

I am just about to purchase an Ipad + OzRunways for a primary source of in flight data...

Is it legal to use a Mini Ipad or should I be choosing at the larger retina type Ipad ? There seems to be some argument about this issue.

If the larger Ipad is the go ... does anyone know of any convenient mounting bracket that can be used in ...say a jab ?

ps I am a non commercial RAA private pilot

Guest Howard Hughes

We have been trialling Ipad minis at work for flight planning, weight and balance, document storage and Jeppesen charts. I can't comment on their use for navigation, but in all other areas the mini is considerably more useful than its bigger brother! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

There are several different mounts available including kneeboard type and yoke mounts!

My buddy who just completed his cert + navs got a letter from CASA on the matter confirming that the mini was OK for use. I'll see if i can get his permission to post it here.

We have been trialling Ipad minis at work for flight planning, weight and balance, document storage and Jeppesen charts. I can't comment on their use for navigation, but in all other areas the mini is considerably more useful than its bigger brother! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Hi Howard, can you please elaborate on why you have found the mini more useful than the bigger version. I use an iPad 2 for non flying work purposes etc and find the screen size quite good including viewing plans and drawings etc. be interested if the smaller one was just as useful, is the smaller size just better in the limited space in the cockpit? Or other reasons?

Glare in strong daylight is a problem, and an anti glare shield is necessary.

Guest Howard Hughes
Hi Howard, can you please elaborate on why you have found the mini more useful than the bigger version. I use an iPad 2 for non flying work purposes etc and find the screen size quite good including viewing plans and drawings etc. be interested if the smaller one was just as useful, is the smaller size just better in the limited space in the cockpit? Or other reasons?Glare in strong daylight is a problem, and an anti glare shield is necessary.

Hi Paul, my comments regarding the mini are purely related to size and usability in the cockpit, although I am sure some will argue that bigger is always better. The mini is the perfect size for reading approach plates, airport diagrams, etc... It is also better suited to a yoke mount arrangement without obscuring vision or other instruments.

However if you are planning on using it for other applications apart from aviation, then the larger one might be what you are after.

Cheers, HH.

Guest Vortex

Hi Ayavner, Is that CASA confirmation letter on the mini pad for use as a primary or secondary source of data in navs ?

HI this is what my mate got from CASA. I x'd out his name...

[email protected]

>

Date: 5 May 2013 7:36:27 AM AEST

To: "

[email protected]

" <

[email protected]

>

Cc: "O'SHEA, TONY" <

[email protected]

>

Subject: IPad Mini EFB [sEC=UNOFFICIAL]

UNOFFICIAL

Hi Xxxx,

I have been asked to respond to your enquiry regarding the IPad Mini.

For a private flight you can use the IPad Mini as your primary source of document. As you are aware, you do not require any back-up of your electronic documents, however should the tablet fail or battery go flat you are in breach of the regulations and of course the safety implications of this.

The current regulations, and recommendations of CAAP 233-1 apply to commercial operations.

Should you have any further question please contact me,

Kind regards,

Kym

Kym Anquetil

Aviation Safety Adviser NSW/ACT

Civil Aviation Safety Authority

GPO Box 2005, CANBERRA ACT 2601

M – 0403063488

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

You probably should have x'ed out all of the names!

Apart from that, the fact that is says 'UNOFFICIAL' probably means it wouldn't stand up in court.

Guest Vortex

[email protected]

>

Date: 5 May 2013 7:36:27 AM AEST

To: "

[email protected]

" <

[email protected]

>

Cc: "O'SHEA, TONY" <

[email protected]

>

Subject: IPad Mini EFB [sEC=UNOFFICIAL]

UNOFFICIAL

Hi Xxxx,

I have been asked to respond to your enquiry regarding the IPad Mini.

For a private flight you can use the IPad Mini as your primary source of document. As you are aware, you do not require any back-up of your electronic documents, however should the tablet fail or battery go flat you are in breach of the regulations and of course the safety implications of this.

The current regulations, and recommendations of CAAP 233-1 apply to commercial operations.

Should you have any further question please contact me,

Kind regards,

Kym

Kym Anquetil

Aviation Safety Adviser NSW/ACT

Civil Aviation Safety Authority

GPO Box 2005, CANBERRA ACT 2601

M – 0403063488

Thanks for that info.. much appreciated

You probably should have x'ed out all of the names!Apart from that, the fact that is says 'UNOFFICIAL' probably means it wouldn't stand up in court.

I think the fact it comes from a representative of CASA means it will serve the purpose requested. If the question had been 'can you send me something that will serve in court' there probably would have been a great deal more wording and possibly a sign off from their legal team to be labelled "official"... As far as x'ing out all the names, I thought about it, but as that appears to be Kym's role within the government organisation we all own, what purpose would it serve? She's there to field questions, my mate is not, so that's why i x'd out his name :)

• Agree 2

Apart from that, the fact that is says 'UNOFFICIAL' probably means it wouldn't stand up in court

An email like this would be taken into consideration in any court hearing, although the court will be looking at the legislation (e.g. CAR233) to determine if a criminal offence has occurred.

This email says that CASA has come up a particular interpretation of the legislation and they (hopefully/probably) won't be issuing any infringements for using an iPad mini. A positive thing in my opinion. Clarifies a lot of confusion at the moment for private pilots who are confused about the regulations.