Cargo door

ianboag

Here is what I know. It has been done on a couple of 19- J160s. Jabiru had nothing to do with it - the paperwork to do it on a 24- aircraft is deemed too hard. Understandable. I have been sent some pics of one of the jobs. Have a look at the for-sale J160 from Adels Grove on the Jabiru site. It appears to be a mod that the South African assemblers offer as routine.

A cargo door has been offered as an option on our factory Jabi's for a little while now. I would guess most, if not all new South African J170's have the optional cargo door fitted during construction. I had one of the first, bloody fantastic, if you are going to tour with a 160 or 170 this mod is a must have in my humble opinion. I used to struggle to load stuff into my UL120 and touring with the wife was nearly impossible, but on my last tour with the J170 I used to chuckle every time I loaded the plane up... so easy. (not to mention the high back seats. no more go-kart seats for me....)

120906709_88-Feb19(6).jpg.d192bb1f12896ad3baf7ddfc4648febc.jpg

1741192620_63-Jan25(4).jpg.0d4578697d06ff23e097e6aff96b74a8.jpg

1791316390_82-Feb12(12).jpg.6a52a06360b0f5d6b1d1ba4056a14df8.jpg

1437071228_89-Feb19(7).jpg.0fdc41a183e51c7418dcf732b8961d8d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A cargo door has been offered as an option on our factory Jabi's for a little while now. I would guess most, if not all new South African J170's have the optional cargo door fitted during construction. I had one of the first, bloody fantastic,

How do I get in touch with the SA factory? I imagine they have drawings .....

I don't know about drawings but you can try them. Try http://www.jabiru.co.za for contact options.

I really don't know why a cargo door is not a standard feature on the Aus factory J170's (come to think of it SP/UL120's to). I stand corrected but I think all the newer European LSA's and most of the American ones have some form of cargo loading door or hatch, Its a small thing but improves the practicality of the J170 tremendously, still I don't know your regulations, maybe its a big thing over there?

Cheers.

My high backed seats are factory produced here in South Africa, many patterns, materials are available, mine are anthracite leather with door pockets to match, way cool.... but if you don't have the cargo door they will severely limit your ability to load luggage into the rear of the J170/160.

but if you don't have the cargo door they will severely limit your ability to load luggage into the rear of the J170/160.

Won't just limit loading but also severly restrict access to fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter etc for maintenance.