Airstrip closure Dysart & Blackwater Qld

This article in the local paper talks about the closure of Dysart & Blackwater airstrips (both privately owned). A bit of misinformation, but make up your own minds. Unfortunately it makes RAA pilots sound unsafe.

http://www.cqnews.com.au/news/runway-closure-may-be-forever/1986615/

Sue

Guest Maj Millard

How dare they remove the use of these strips that were in use way before the coal mines came along, which then took them over for their own selfish use. These were small country airports for the general use of the public.

As it is now creating a safety issue, CASA should also be involved, or have they chosen in this instance as they often do, to simple ignore the situation, and fail once again in supporting the flying community.................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Blackwater is still open to emergencies, flying doctor and mines charters, just not general public. Dysart I don't know much about.

Does anyone know the history of these strips - were they in existence before BMA ownership?

Sue

Guest Maj Millard

Many of those small town country strips were in existence, and were used regularly for flown -in supplies such as newspapers etc. The recently lost DH Rapide 'Rhiana' spent much of her earlier life doing those paper runs in and around the central Queensland areas.

My family grew up in the Blair Athol-Clermont area and my older brother remembers as a young boy helping to pick up papers from the Dragon at Clermont airport in pre-war years.....Any airstrip really, private or otherwise should always be available for emergency purposes...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Heard today through the grapevine that Dysart strip is to be handed back to the Aero Club....and in my opinion that's the way it should be ....Thanks to Myles Brekenritz for his efforts there...........Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif