Report on Maryborough (Vic) Wings and Wheels

pmccarthy

Held last weekend, 14th and 15th September. I signed up for the car run on Saturday. We spent the morning on display at the railway station, then a run to Talbot after lunch. We were still there at 3.30, intended to then go to the airfield for the official opening. But there were clouds appearing and it was getting darker so I went home in my open top special without seeing an aeroplane.

On Sunday mine was one of five Kyneton aircraft at the field, there were only about four others. We were told that a lot more aircraft had been there on Saturday. A large number of historic motorcycles, sports cars and racing cars did time trials all day on the main sealed runway 17/35 while air movements were on the dirt. I hope the runway surface has survived all the wheel spinning and smoking. The Kyneton Yak offered warbirds flights.

A good weekend was had, but I was disappointed at seeing no aircraft I hadn't seen before. I should have gone out on Saturday, but I suspect most would have flown out by 4 pm when the cars arrived.

It was the first time for this event. Council has spent a lot of money on the airfield and it is a great venue. I look forward to the next time.