IFR extra maint costs ??

DrZoos

Hi guys, just wondering from those that have had IFR private use plains are there any extra maintenance costs. eg callibration or replacement costs etc.

Also is a pilot who is not IFR certified allowed to fly an IFR aircraft in VFR conditions without using the Instruments???

Guest Andys@coffs

Any mechanical instruments such as horizons and gyro compasses, and vacuum pumps that drive them are prone to failure and aren't cheap to fix. Similarly gps mapping and airspace updates once you own the instrument then you are a captive audience and the likes of garmin and geppesen have had significant corporate lifetimes to work out how to maximise their revenue streams from owners.....

Guest Howard Hughes
Also is a pilot who is not IFR certified allowed to fly an IFR aircraft in VFR conditions without using the Instruments???

Yes a VFR pilot can fly an IFR aircraft, he (or she) is even allowed to look at the instruments! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Yes- significant extra maintenance costs! In addition to the normal 100hrly costs all the TSO'd instruments required for IFR flight require annual re certification which is expensive as I discovered. The last 100 hrly on my cessna 177RG was in excess of $9,000 - ironically the reason I bought it (PIFR ticket) has evaporated as our local flying school has just lost it's only IFR instructor and I don't have the time to go elsewhere!