Round Engines

Guest Thrasher

Guest Thrasher

Round Engines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death to the turbines!

We gotta get rid of these turbines, they are ruining aviation.

We need to go back to big round engines.

Anybody can start a turbine, you just need to move a switch from"OFF" to "START," and then remember to move it back to "ON" after

a while.

My PC is harder to start.

Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. On some planes, the pilots aren't even allowed to do it.

Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot and start whining louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click, BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho fart or two, more clicks, a lot of smoke and finally a serious low pitched

roar.

We like that. It's a blokey thing.

When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting.

Turbines don't break often enough, leading to aircrew boredom,complacency and inattention.

A round engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow at any minute.

This helps concentrate the mind.

Turbines don't have enough control levers to keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long flights.

Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman lanterns.

Round engined planes smell like God intended flying machines to smell.

I think I hear the nurse coming down the hall. I gotta go.

• 3 weeks later...

It's actually a GE90 made by General Electric.

Round engines are not only on the DC-3, they are on many aircraft. In particular Yak's, Nanchangs etc... Nothing beats that sound though.

Guest David747
If you had the chance to own an engine what 1 would it be?

A Boeing 747 Classic and 400 Rolls Royce Engine. :P I just love the sound of a Rolls Royce powered Boeing 747 on take off! 8)

David...

Guest g_i_jack029

Love the sound of round but Turbines are still good

full afterburner on a F-16 or F-14 that doesn't light my candle.......it Blows it away!!!!!

LOVE THAT ROAR

Guest g_i_jack029

.........Sorry Chainsaw, i'm not too clever then.

LOVE SOUND OF ROUND

LOVE SOUND OF AFTERBURNER

...............I LOVE PLANES, round or turbine

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh! The days of the DC6; sitting in the back rows at night feeling the rumble of the big P&W 2800 and seeing the little blue flame at the end of a red hot exhaust, when flying was a little more genteel than it is now.

Those were the days!!!!

• 1 year later...

Aeronca C3: there's an account in Herschel Smith's "Aircraft Piston Engines" of one such aircraft (if they truly deserve that title) seeming to perform a little sluggishly and, after landing, it was discovered that one cylinder (of the two...) was cold. Hmmmm ... a one cylinder aeroplane :eek2:

AeroncaC2_ca1932.jpg.b7943cb6983cf5001266a052da0dfc67.jpg