Tassie to Perth, which way?

Guest browng

Guest browng

Hi all, I'm going to be picking up a Jodel D11 from Tasmania and flying it home to Perth sometime around mid September to early October. I crossed the Nullarbor in my 1946 J3 Cub two years ago, which was something of a challenge with 2 hours endurance (plus 30 min reserve) at a TAS of just 70mph, but this time I will have 4 hours endurance at 95-100knots with 45min reserve, so it should be a lot easier to plan.

I have a couple of questions that folks may be able to help me with, e.g. anything at all about crossing the Bass Strait in a single engine 100knot a/c. From the West over King Island, or the East over Flinders Island?

My initial thoughts are to depart from Smithton for Horsham via o/h King Island and Point Franklin, refuel at Horsham and overnight at Truro Flat Air Park. From there I am open to suggestions. Last time I had to follow the highway across the Nullarbor and refuel at the roadhouses, If I do the same this time I will have less stops, but follow the same track, i.e. Truro Flat to Ceduna, Border Village, Cockelbiddy, Kalgoorlie, Bindoon (YBOO, home base).

However, it would be more direct to go to Port Augusta and follow the railway line directly west to Kalgoorlie. There are a number of airstrips on the WAC along the railway line all owned by ANR, but with the notable exception of Forrest, there is zero info in the ERSA on these. Does anybody know anything about these strips? Has anybody flown the Nullarbor along the railway in a small aircraft?

Guest brentc

I can only tell you about the southern part. I'd recommend going via Wilsons Promontory then down and over Flinders. Whilst there's not a lot of places to land down there, there's quite a bit less water to cross than the King Island route. Aircraft from my field at Tooradin fly over there up to several times daily and fly via Wilsons Prom and will be up at least 7,500ft for the crossing. There are many pilots there at Tooradin including CFI Eugene Reid who does the crossing atleast once a week who could assist you with information. You'll need good weather from Tassie. Today it's fogged in at Georgetown and the freezing level yesterday was only around 3,500ft.

Guest browng
G'Day, I think the best way to cross Bass Straight would be via Flinders Island, Deal Island and Hogan Islands. Too much water via King. I did the trip in Feb. Here's the link to the Trip Report:http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10159

Regards

Wayne

Excellent report great photos, and exactly what I was after, thank you. I expect to be doing the trip late Sept - early October, weather permitting.

Guest pelorus32

Please excuse my weird response to this question. When I first saw this thread my immediate response was "east about" or "west about"?

In the days of the sailing ships very often the quickest way from Tasmania to Perth was via Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope. The prevailing westerlies meant that going across the Bight "backwards" simply wasn't an option.

For a moment that was what I thought this question was about - eastwards or westwards.:;)3:

Back to sleep again now - sorry.

Regards

Mike

You can go Pt Augusta- Tarcoola-Cook -Forrest- Kal if you wish not sure of the fuel availability at those other than Forrest but have a good think about what you are going to acheive.The time saving will be nil the view will be boring the emergency landing areas will be nil and when you get home no one will pat you on the back for flying down the railwayline.Dont get me wrong it may not have been done before in a single!! Just some thoughts i have camped alongside that railwayline often when on 4wd camping trips, try stopping that train if you are in strife,no way, and thats if you can get out of your craft parked in the saltbush!!Its a long way Pt Augusta -Kal about 850nm, so i have a better idea,and thats do as you have done before stick with the Eyre Highway the roadhouses the plentiful airstrips the people about you, check the whales at Nullabor etc etc.I am envious of you doing the Bass straight, however have done PtLincoln - Kangaroo island -Victor harbour regularly and am also very wary of Neptune Island the cafe of the white pointer underneath.

Best of luck for the trip which ever you do.