J170

Guest jaba

Guest jaba

Hi there I fly Trikes and Jabirus in Horsham Vic I'm building a Jabiru J170 and I'm about 3\4 of the way though it and about to order my engine now they have done a few mods on it to make it better.

cheers Jaba ;)

Hi Jaba - welcome to the forums. :)

I have a J160c here at Echuca - I'm very impressed with the J170. ;)

What are the changes to the motor as mentoned in your post? :;)3:

regards

Hi Bigpete the changes to the 2.2 motor that they have done is they have enlarged the sump to give the motor more breathing room to over come the oil building up in the rocker covers and cooking the oil. So Jabirus fix was to drill hole in between the valves to the outside to let the oil drain back to the sump. Now you don't have to drill a hole in the heads ( I did not like the sound of that) to the outside to let it breath because of the larger sump. The fins on the heads are finer for better cooling and they have done something to the exhaust. The only problem I have got is they have changed the bottom engine cowl to fit the biger sump in and I have got the old cowl and it is painted and finished. jabiru will send me the new oil cooler inlet and I will just have to cut out the old one and glass the new one in place and start filling and sanding again. I just can't wait, gee I love sanding "NOT"

Cheers Jaba :;)1:

G'day Jaba - thanks for the info. ;)

I had the "drill holes in head" mod at 100 hrs. Now about to do 200 hrs service - no sign of oil escaping thru holes - so mod appears fine to me.

I like the idea of more fins on the heads ;) anything to improve cooling has to be good.

good luck with the building - let us know when your finished. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

regards