Knife edge Aerobatics

mrchavez

There is a good description of this on page 150 of

Basic Aerobatics By Geza Szurovy & Mike Goulian

See it on google books if that link doesn't work.

That link didn't work for me so here's a direct link to the book - scroll down to page 150.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=kc3aoLOiGVkC&lpg=PP1&dq=mike%20goulian%20aerobatics&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Does anyone know how aerobatic aircraft maintain altitude when flying knife edge?Does the pilot kick in a bit of rudder?

Thanks

Mr Chavez

The pilot kicks in a lot of rudder. The lift comes off the fuselage which is usually presented at a significant angle to the airflow, plus a little lift is gained from the upward direction of the propellor thrust. Many aerobatic aircraft can only maintain "knife edge" for a limited period of time before they start losing altitude, although the latest ones appear to have no trouble...

One that manages quite well is the GBII- it has such a huge fuselage side area and powerful engine that it can sustain knife-edge flight continuously, and can actually climb away in the knife-edge position. I saw a replica GBII do this at the Oshkosh Airshow in 2000. I spoke to the owner afterwards, and he said the most dangerous part of his demonstration was the landing. If you are not familiar with the GBII here's a picture here:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MA/GeeBee_R-2replica_96.jpg

ONe look at this will show you why its such a tricky little devil on the ground. It was designed as a racer, not as an aerobatic machine, and yes, the lump just ahead of the fin IS the cockpit.....

Coop

One of my favourite party tricks in the Pitts was a one and a half snap roll from knife-edge to knife-edge. Reminds me that I haven't done one for a while - must fix that soon.