Aviation Learning Center

djpacro

• 1 year later...

Great video David,

From my perspective both those recovery methods PARE and Beggs are fairly benign, what I mean is they are non aggressive recovery techniques especially the Beggs from what appeared to be a fairly flat spin. I have had no experience in the Pitts so how would the Citabria respond in these circumstances?

Rich has some additional reading material online here. An extract:

A complete certification spin test matrix,

covers many permutations of weight and balance, fuel load differential,

entry conditions, control and flap positions and so on, can be

several hundred points deep. Omitting a few data points—as in the

above experiment—reveals far less about the efficacy of a particular

technique than a “fail” reveals.

So, the spin recovery method in the POH is well substantiated. No such comprehensive testing exists for the Beggs-Mueller technique but there is some "reliable" information as follows:

• excellent technique for the Pitts

• it does not work for all spin modes in the Decathlon and Cessna 150

• there are other types for which it definitely does not work

I teach it in the Pitts only, as well as the flight manual technique.

As for the Citabria - you are on your own.

.....I teach it in the Pitts only, as well as the flight manual technique. As for the Citabria - you are on your own.

David,

That is a really interesting article written by Rich Stowell you posted. Have you read his book 'The Light Airplane Pilots Guide to Stall/Spin Awareness'?

I was always taught the NASA Standard method of spin recovery in both the C150 and the Citabria 7GCBC (flap fitted), but I was not aware that was what it was called.

As we discussed recently last year I went up with an instructor in the Citabria and did in-spin and out-spin aileron spin entry maintaining the configuration throughout the fully developed spin, but each recovery was brisk opposite rudder, neutral aileron and a brisk forward movement of the elevator which resulted in an almost immediate rotational stop with a good nose down attitude. I did note the spin entry, developed spin and recovery were quite different in the in-spin, and out-spin aileron configuration and different again to a normal aileron neutral spin entry and recovery.

I have never done inverted spins and I don't think the Citabria is certified for that maneuver from memory.

I have never tried the Beggs method in the Citabria and would imagine it would significantly delay the recovery as the Citabria rotates briskly in a fully developed spin.

I note the author is adamant that full spin training and even aerobatics is an important part of recognising and responding in a timely manner to unusual attitudes. I would definitely support that as my early spin training taught me not to be frightened of abnormal attitudes.

I note that spin training is not even required now for CPL which frankly worries me. Makes me wonder what would go on up front in all the big aluminium buses I fly in if something went really wrong ... some of the examples in the 'Air crash Investigation' type scenarios go even further to increase my concerns.