Jaspers Brush Threat of Closure

Jaspers Brush NSW is under threat of closure! The Berry Alliance is circulating land owners that their property values will increase if we are booted of the swamp land which is our recreation site.The Shoalhaven City Council is getting nervous and may cave in to the Berry Alliance most of who are "Blow Ins" from the city. So please send a letter in support of South Coast Recreational Flying Club Inc.[membership of approx 70] to the Minster for Sport and Recreation Joanna Gash and to the Berry Town Crier and Nowra News etc. We need all the help we can muster Thank you

Join the Berry Alliance and see it haemorrhages its plans and policy straight back to the Jaspers Brush aviation community. Never underestimate the value of a well-placed "mole". With careful strategies and tactics, a good mole can cause any organisation to have conniptions. At the very least it can cause the hierarchy of the organisation to mistrust each other, thereby impairing its effectiveness and/or crredibility.

Guest Decca

objections

Look I’ve never written to a councillor/politician but when I see the goodwill these forums generate lambadaman & others, even if I have never been to Jaspers Brush, I can still object to its closure as a POTENTIAL aviating visitor so Thruster87 let’s have some address details PLEASE

Regards, Decca.

this is not good news, i have just moved to the area, and am currently working my **** off to get my vampire overhauled and improved so i can fly from there as soon as the weather improves! living in culburra, the nearest airfield apart from Jaspers is Goulburn! Albion park is all booked out for hangarage.. i fail to see how stopping small aircraft from operating from swampland, so it can be reverted to um, swampland, will increase property values.. actually this is the first time i can think of that an airport has come under threat for its perceived effects on property values, usually its so it can be sold to developers or noise issues...

Guest ozzie

Hi All, I have very fond memories of Jaspers having attended the very early fly ins there way back. great adventures had. both flying and jumping there over the years. i drove past down the h'way last year and the area looks the same ,no one can build there. what is wrong with these treechange types. if it goes to the courts existing use rights will win. do the military still use the strip?

I used to jump nearby from a small strip just down the kangeroo valley rd at camberwarra. it runs close and parrallel to the road with power lines at the eastern end. probably houses now. but would suit the vampire ok. wonder if it is still there? Rutherford and the Luskintyre strips in the Hunter are under fire from incredible development around them. we need some protective legislation to prevent this sort of thing from happening. there will be nowhere left soon.

hope it works out for you all

ozzie

yep the strip at camberwarra is still there, drove past it 2 weeks ago coming back from the snow, there is a Big taildragger Cessna in the shed there, but it looks like a private strip that is in serious need of a good mow!

Further developments at Jaspers Brush. The Berry Alliance is contesting the date at which the swamp became a airfield with the Shoalhaven City Council as the zoning prohibits it.If it can be proved without doubt that is was used mainly as a airfield prior to 28th Feb 1964 then it can remain an airfield.Records are being searched to see if this was the case. Cheers

Send them the 16 Right DVD (if they can be bothered watching it) or maybe even offer to address the group and give them a screening. Of course it will be a hostile audience, but if you appear to be normal and sensible, and point out all the benefits of aviation, it might make them reconsider.

It would be great to avoid the "us" and "them" mentality, to show them that pilots are people just like them, and they are people just like us who perhaps don't understand. Let them know there are professional people there - maybe point out that you have doctors, engineers or whomever flying there, not people they might assume to be risk takers.

Offer to set up a "fly neighbourly" system and brief the pilots. Is there an area that they are concerned about? Show them that pilots are responsible members of the community. Perhaps they don't want people flying over a residential area, or doing practice forced landings over a dairy farm etc. Say you are happy to work with them wherever possible. Make them like you!

Show them the advantages, show them the magic. Perhaps invite them to the airfield and maybe take them flying. Tell them to bring a camera to take photos of the magnificent scenery. If you do take them flying, be as professional as an airline pilot. Point out any safety equipment. Nice gentle angles of bank, point out what the instruments do, point out landmarks. Show them how you avoid flying over built up areas where possible. Point out the changing engine noise during different power settings and say it is perfectly normal.

Good luck!

if their a bunch of diehard rednecks, just tell them the field will be underwater in 2 weeks time from Global warming, so they don't have anything to worry about... they might get off the case then!

Guest disperse

do we know thier ressons for wanting this and is that something pilots can help control ie. noise / or has it got to do with inviromental resons ie. preserving swamplands or polution

or is it just sum stuck up bastard who dosent like looking at planes fying around while he's reading his paper and sipping latte's

point is you need to know the reasoning or lake of it before you can start to fight back

The owner of the field also runs a parachuting business and his plane a Cessna 185 [i think]is very noisy.He put a DA in to operate 7 days a week and he put off the locals it appears.Whereas the rec planes can only fly on the weekends when Nowra Naval Airport is off line,so we are the meat in the sandwich. Cheers

Guest disperse

just rumaged through berry alliance web site and there has been a DA put in for intnsified sky diving opp's and some sheds.......and it would seem that it is the NOISE facter from the proposed flight path's ..........

i didn't go into it much as all that legal talk mess's with my head man ! BUT if this DA gets rejected WHY does that mean everything stops.

as there was already a DA passed in 2000 to give him what he has now so it would seem that if this one fails.......everything should stay as it is

UNLESS they are challenging the validity of the 2000 DA

NOW IM CONFUSSED;)

You are correct in that they are challenging the validity of the first approval on the grounds that a airfield is prohibited in the zoning laws.The solution is to prove that the field was indeed used mainly as an airfield prior to 28th Feb 1964 and if so it would maintain its' current usage rights as a airfield. Cheers