Spins

metalman

I've just been on a USA forum and they had a post about crossover spins, pretty interesting ,but something I had never heard before was to "step" on the ground behind the nose, any one been taught this way of recognizing the spin direction, and does it work inverted as well?

Guest Darren Masters

I've always remembered let go and controls neutral then rudder. If you've got the wrong one the spin will not stop. Try the other...gradually level and fly out.

Matt! There are only two answers - one is correct, one is incorrect. You know which is the correct answer don't you?

yeh I reckon it would be the same inverted, if you yaw left then right rudder will stop the yaw so as it crosses over to inverted the it yaws the opposite way so if you step on the ground behind the nose,,,,,maybe?

and darren that method is good for some types but not all, I've read it works on the Pitts, but not everything across the board.

Don't know what step on the nose is all about but I know you push the rudder pedal closest to you (or with the most pressure on it) if you don't know which way you are spinning

... but I know you push the rudder pedal closest to you (or with the most pressure on it) if you don't know which way you are spinning

... only if the rudder trails with the spin .... only if airflow over part of the rudder is not disturbed to the extent that a horn balance can result in a null force. There are some people around who are hotshot aerobatic pilots in a Pitts (or similar) then write articles or books on spins in general dangerously assuming that all aeroplane types behave in the same way. Be very wary of these so-called experts.

I've always remembered let go and controls neutral then rudder. If you've got the wrong one the spin will not stop. Try the other...gradually level and fly out.

Depends what aeroplane you are in.

Dex these yanks were talking about stepping on the ground behind the nose, just a way to not get disoriented, especially inverted when the roll and yaw are opposite

Exactly, Matt. One thing that is always true about spins - apply rudder opposite the yaw.(Unfortunately, people still continue to kill themselves spinning in a Pitts despite all the good advice from hotshot aerobatic pilots which does apply to the Pitts.)

• 3 weeks later...

For normal spins, I was always taught(1) centre controls, (2)full opposite rudder (step on the ground behind the nose if that helps you remember) and then (3)bring the stick forward UNTIL THE ROTATION STOPS. Then (4) recover from the dive. I was taught that step (3) is the most important- people have killed themselves trying to recover from the dive before the spin had ceased because they didn't wait for the rotation to stop, and brought the stick back holding the machine in the spin. Most aircraft I have flown and spun break out of the spin easily and only require an easing of the back pressure (step 3) to effect full recovery, but if allowed to spin for more than two or three revolutions, some have required a positive forward movement on the stick. A Chipmunk that I spun (from 7,000') needed step (3) with a firm push to bring it out.

As for inverted spins- you can have them to yourselves- most uncomfortable gyration my instructor ever inflicted on me...

Coop