• 1 out of 5
    • 2 out of 5
    • 3 out of 5
    • 4 out of 5
    • 5 out of 5
    • Do you rate it better than NATFLY 2012 - YES
    • Do you rate it better than NATFLY 2012 - NO

Guest aviatrix27

I had a great time. Caught up with heaps of old friends, some I hadn't seen in 10 years.

The aero club and sailing - oops soaring club both catered well for our food and drink needs. Yes, there were lines for food, or delays, but it was good food at a fair price. Would love to have camped next to the plane, but it was far too cold overnight to even think about camping without power. Not only that, we have to be below 0.02 to be airside.

Never been to Natfly, so can't make a comparison :)

Guest Darren Masters

It's come a long way since the old NATFLY days. Dust was bad (as it always is in Narromine). Shade can be a little bit hard to find there too. Seemed to be a fair bit in the way of catering/beverages-my little-ones chose pizza. Can you believe that? :confused: Kids will be kids. Kaye, as you will know queues in the USA put these little ones we have here to shame ;) I thought the displays were ok (from what I saw in between watching my kids). Always nice to wonder around airside when the flying displays are not active. Was excellent to finally meet Bas, Dex, see Kaye, Geoffrey and Ross (a blast from the past) again :)

I enjoyed catching up with a some people i haven't seen for quite a few years.

I thought the SAAA did a great job considering the restrictions they have had placed on them, hopefully CASA and the airport feds will GET WITH THE FREAKING PROGRAM and we can all have much more realistic access to parked aircraft and the flightline.

Much better than Natfly cause everyone is invited.

Here's my vision:

Have one event, with an "SAAA Pavilion" and "RA-Aus Pavillion" in big tent, with booths in there for exhibitors (mixed, they all service both camps) and put RA-Aus ourdoor displays around the RA pavilion, GA around SAAA. Central plaza / food in the middle. Both in one place, but retaining and showcasing their indivduality.

Bigger crowd means more exhibitors with bigger displays. (which draws in bigger crowds)

Everybody wins!

I'd say Temora is the better site for it. (unless we can find something similar closer to a major population centre)

• Like 1

I'd say Temora is the better site for it. (unless we can find something similar closer to a major population centre)

CRAA petitioned the ACT Chamber of Commerce and the ACT Government about using the proposed Williamsdale GA airfield site for just such a purpose - e.g. take NatFly from Temora. Other justifications were used, this was only one of them. The national folk festival and Summernats are both held in Canberra so its not like they don't understand the concept of getting a heap of people in one place and having them camp onsite or use accomodation in town.

The ACT Chamber of Commerce (CoC) didn't even acknowledge the correspondence about said efforts and feasibility. The ACT Government got caught doing a bit of a boo-boo about the feasibility of such an activity (a GA airfield in Canberra) which I won't go into here. David Edmunds at CRAA has more details about that.

Hooray for both Temora and Narromine shire councils and everyone involved. They get it. The volunteers and proprietors manning the food vans made a bit of coin, local businesses stayed open for a bit longer and people went away happy with what they spent their time and money on. The punters said they would be back next year and will tell their friends.

Conversely, retail shops are empty in Canberra and have been for a while. You'd think that between the CoC and th guv'ment they would be leaping at another event the same size as SummerNats ... and you'd be wrong.

It is left as an exercise for readers to determine why.

Sorry Don I can't change it now. FYI only 4 people have voted anyway. 2 votes 3 out of 5 & 1 each for 4/5 & 5/5. I'm guessing not many TAA members attended or they don't have an opinion.