Grumman Goose

willedoo

It would be good if someone shot some video of the Pearl Aviation Turbo Mallards operating out of Truscott in the Kimberleys. It's supposed to be a fairly busy airfield these days, between the pearls & the rigs.

I guess those pods would have to be fuel, Geoff. Haven't seen photos of any others with them.

Cheers, Willie.

It would be good if someone shot some video of the Pearl Aviation Turbo Mallards operating out of Truscott in the Kimberleys. It's supposed to be a fairly busy airfield these days, between the pearls & the rigs.I guess those pods would have to be fuel, Geoff. Haven't seen photos of any others with them.

Cheers, Willie.

Yes, fuel seems the most likely to me also, but what confuses me is that the short clip - of the a/c going out of control, doesn't seem to have them in place, despite it being (supposedly) taken on the same day at the same place. Something weird going on..:confused:

Yes, fuel seems the most likely to me also, but what confuses me is that the short clip - of the a/c going out of control, doesn't seem to have them in place, despite it being (supposedly) taken on the same day at the same place. Something weird going on..:confused:

I played that short clip a few times, siz; pity it wasn't a higher resolution. First thing that looked suspicious, the country looks different. Plus the people on the beach also don't seemed to be dressed for Alaska, but I suppose places can still have warm days with snow still on the peaks.

Googling around it all seems to point to a crash in Tamarindo, Costa Rica, during filming of a segment for 'Endless Summer ll'.

Here's one forum reference to it, http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/print.main?id=2552917

If it's true, I'd guess the pilot, Hoot Gibson, wouldn't be the same one that flew space shuttles.

Cheers, Willie.

Edit: this looks like how they incorporated it into the movie.

a bit more detail,

http://grummangoosecentral.homestead.com/1184.html

You're a thorough searcher, alright - I thought for a moment I was needing new glasses when in the "bit more detail" link I could see it with one turboprop and one radial.

Thankfully, it seems as though it was undergoing some sort of test...

I thought for a moment I was needing new glasses when in the "bit more detail" link I could see it with one turboprop and one radial.Thankfully, it seems as though it was undergoing some sort of test...

Need new glasses, myself. I missed that part about the turboprop, had to go back for another look.

Cheers, Willie.