Great Eastern Fly In....evans Head

Alan Spears

I don't think I'll think too seriously about planning for that one. Somehow I doubt my RAA rego renewal will be processed by then given the Xmas break & the apparent backlog.

I don't think I'll think too seriously about planning for that one. Somehow I doubt my RAA rego renewal will be processed by then given the Xmas break & the apparent backlog.

Well I'll have to re-think the thinking..... Just received email notification from RAAus that I'm still in the air. They processed my registration today 6 days before it expired. Thank you.

KEWL....so possible starters are jrmobile,Dazza38,DWB..... that leaves Kaye. C'mon, $ are not much. SYF would use less fuel than many cars,accommodation is camping,free admission. Food...well,just shove some vegemite semmiches and a bottle of cordial in the back. It's a cheap short holiday amongst aviators :D

• Like 1

Got that one wrongs on my PPL exam. Vishus killer attack dog may be carried if it is in a box that cannot be opened by "said dog" mid flight and can contain any body fluids thereof. Alternatively, if the flight is a charter flight the dog and bone must be carried in separate parts of the aircraft that can't be accessed in flight ... Or something like that :->

Now as far as the camping goes... You'd need to call ahead, IMO

Guest aviatrix27

Unless I sell my house and get settlement in record time, I can't go :( 5 hours each way, so that's 330 litres of avgas, I don't have $700 spare

WOO HOO....guess who's going to The Great Eastern Fly-in at Evans Head??

ME

I'm staying for the three days and displaying my aviation art. I am setting up my gazebo art gallery to display 54 pieces of my artwork. So,if please people,seek out the 'Aviation Art' banners and drop by for an aeronautical chat. Browsers always welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the time has come & unfortunately all the marbles haven't lined up for me so I won't make it this year. Have fun everyone that does get there.

I'm back from the Great Eastern Fly In......how was it? FAN-FLAMING-TASTIC. The weather was fine,warm,but cool sea breeze. The aircraft were many and varied,Trojan,Mustang,AN2,Pitts,Yaks,Wirraway,Wingeel,Mallard,plus a bazzilion others. Excellent show for a gold coin donation. In fact many said that it was as good as any show that people pay lots to get into. Matt Hall did stuff that cannot be believed. I displayed my aviation artwork over the three days,met and talked to many wonderful aviators.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I had the best time on Saturday. I got a call from Alan (HITC) to join him on a car trip down to Evan's Head (about 220k South of Brisbane) to visit the annual fly-in there. Suitably armed with water, packed lunch, GPS, prophelactic medications and emergency numbers (after all, it is south of the border in wild New South Wales territory ), we headed out to pick up another mate on the way down there.

Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome is approximately 1 km (0.62 mi) north of the village. During World War II it was Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Evans Head housing the RAAF No 1 Bombing and Gunnery School; and the RAAF No 1 Air Observers School.At the height of operations it supported three asphalt runways and one grass strip. The entire airport is listed on the NSW State Heritage Register. Today the runways are still mostly intact, but tufts of grass have largely taken over at least one of the runways I inspected.

When we got there, I was surprised to see so many stalls set up, selling food, trinkets, more food, and (of course) joy-rides in a Mustang, a gyro, a Drifter, some warbirds, and even a great lumbering yellow Anatov AN-2.

The highlight of the day was when Alan organised a quick flight piloted by an aerobatic ace friend of his in a Drifter. (See below for an example of this heart-pounding flying aluminum tube...)

It all started out pretty innocently, execpt that as we picked up speed (I was in the back seat, clinging on for dear life strapped in as tightly as I could manage with a screaming 2-stroke a few inches from my eardrums), the aircraft seemed to career erratically all over the runway as it averaged itself forward. After what seemed an age, we finally lifted off and the plane stopped its Brownian motion. Only to start flying sideways. Bloody hell - it has been a long time since I went flying, and my first time strapped into a seat perched on top of a pole exposed to the elements.

After we'd climbed out, I suddenly found myself in control. I definitely hadn't expected that. A few gentle turns, and "This baby needs lots of rudder, mate" blurted over the hearphones. And in 20 seconds I learned all I needed to know about adverse yaw and the role of the rudder, as I was treated to first the stick hard left onto the stops with no rudder input, and then the stick hard over to the right again with no rudder. Then again, this time with rudder inputs. Voila. Better than any words could explain.

I spent the next few minutes turning harder and harder, with plenty of rudder inputs. I was feeling quite chuffed with myself. Till I had my little safety cuccoon completely distroyed with "Don't be scared to throw her around a bit..." in my ears. Next thing I knew we were climbing nearly vertically, and then the world sort of turned upside down as we plunged to our doom over the ocean. "I managed to stall the left wing-tip on that one..." my earphones said as though to comforrt me. Strangely... it didn't.

Our landing was pretty calm and placid, we touched down, the Brownian Motion started again as the little plane jumped all over the place. And then careered off wildly to the left. And I mean WILDLY. This time I could feel the rudder pedals sawing away frantically. And then it was over. We rolled to a stop. "Bloody helicopter hovering just to the right there off the runway..."

All in all, one of the most exciting times of my recent life. Thanks Alan. The Drifter is quite a plane...

The rest of the day was spent getting burnt in the merciless sun, talking to a few builders about their planes, having Alan point out some of the nicities of design and build features of some of the planes, asking questions of the owners, and generally chewing the flying cud. Brilliant.

I have arrived home with a renewed enthusiasm to get the little Razorback flying. I would just LOVE to fly there next year. Well, maybe the year after next...

Cheers,

Duncan

• Like 1

Guest aviatrix27

Now you guys are just making me jealous. It's a shame $ is so tight right now, but we're in the middle of a nasty heat wave right now, so I'm glad I didn't get to go anywhere, I'm not the nicest person to be around when I can't cool down :)