WHERE TO START THEORY

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

i still cant fly yet:crying: so any sujestions on where to start on the theory would be good... i fubled through the RAA site but keeped going back and forth in the pages...and also i dont know WHAT is needed to be known and what is extra knowlage

im happy to spend $$$ on books if needed just dont want to waste it on the wrong books......THANKS ALL Troy

Guest pelorus32

Troy,

learn it all and keep learning! The RAA site is great and there are others that I think you may have got to, including http://www.av8n.com

Also try reading the Visual Flight Guide and maybe also Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langeweische.

I reckon that you can never have too much theory. But the thing to do is to tackle it in bouts as your training makes you aware of issues.

You are going to have to pass some exams like Basic Aeronautical Knowledge and radio, pre-solo that sort of stuff so ask your instructor what books they recommend for that.

This has been covered here before so do a search as well.

regards

Mike

Guest disperse

You are going to have to pass some exams like Basic Aeronautical Knowledge and radio, pre-solo that sort of stuff so ask your instructor what books they recommend for that.

THANKS Mike;)

i would like to get a good grip on the stuff for exams, i'd hope this will make training much easier if im just learning the prac instead of trying to dijest all the theory as well.. then i can continue the learning at my lesure (extra knowlage)

ps. no instructor as yet (can't bl$%#dy drive a car yet either) makes it hard to get down to the oaks

I went with the RAA site and also the BAK book from the Aviation Theory Centre.. I found it pretty poor compared to the older Trevor Thom book somebody leant me briefly, but still perfectly useable.

My main issue with it was the number of errors, but they are for the most part easy to pick up. Ask your instructor (when you get one) when in doubt.

The RAA site is definately a great resource.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Gang.

The advertisements in the RA-Aus Magazine often quote study material for sale from the various sellers, depending on the type of A/C you are going to fly, it would be beneficial to select from what is being offered and make a choice, there are quite a lot of different selections to be made. After you know what you want to fly (reason to fly) take your pick. Study (for knowledge is no burden to carry) and further your

horizons. Enjoy your flying for it will broaden your horizon.

Cheers.

Steve

Guest jerabina

I think Bob Tait is definately the way to go....it could almost be renamed `flying for dummies`. Very basic, easy to understand, good clear diagrams, but covers everything you need to know. I also have experiance with aviation theory center, and val dyson holland, and i would go with bob tait any day.