Beginners Guide to Marshalling!

Guest Howard Hughes

Guest Andys@coffs

I used to marshal F111C's and 99 time out of a hundred felt I could have been doing a hula dance for all the interest and following of the pilots.......And then every once in a while at aircrew conversion courses someone would actually follow what you were signalling.......

These days when I fly regularly to Adelaide with the red airline I regularly see the first leg arriving aircraft commence turning well in advance of any signalling for a turn and I see them come to a final stop before of after being signalled to do so..

I think marshalling is of use only when new folk or a new location or new obstructions are present...for the rest of the time its a dance of futility.....

Andy

Know what you mean Andy. I was marshaling a Blackburn Berverley into it's slot slot and the pilot decided to turn before I told him to. Resulted in him being bogged down off the peri-track and had to be rescued with 2 Centenal tugs. I think he learnt his lesson that day.

Andy, unless it's a standoff position, there are normally markings and lights to go by. They have to allow for all sizes so experienced pilots make allowances for their own aircrafts geometry. You can usually tell a good marshal pretty quickly. Nev