J230c Heavy Rudder Pedal

Alan

Recently I have had the opportunity to try two other similar aged factory built Jab 230s. I found both of them required significantly less rudder pedal pressure when taxying. ( Did not try in flight) than my own aircraft. I have not had time to look, but I thought the front wheel strut was in nylon bearings (The manual does not show the steering bearing) and so does not require lubrication. I will get the local lame here to have a look when he gets time and is over the flue :yuk:.

In the meantime any suggestions from the forum - is there any lubrication or adjustments that can affect the stiffness of the rudder controls?

Incidently. Finally lower cowling air deflectors have been fitted as per Brentc and I can report they do make a significant difference. I still have to manage CHT during a long climb to keep to the lower edge of the amber, but I can now climb steeper if required. The oil temperature is down at all times and in the cruise (2850rpm) the CHT is well out of the amber.

Thanks all.

Alan

Guest brentc

Alan you might find that the rudder pedal 'bearing blocks' are tighter on one of the aircraft. You can grease these, or loosen them if required. At a guess I'd say someone was a little heavy handed with the spanner when they fitted them - excluding an issue with the nosewheel nylon bearing.

but I thought the front wheel strut was in nylon bearings (The manual does not show the steering bearing) and so does not require lubrication.Alan

Alan

Brent may well be right about the rudder pedal bearings, but I can say with certainty that the nosewheel strut bearing definitely needs to be lubricated. Let me know if you want me to send you the words from the Build Manual.

Regards Geoff