Density Altitude and Thruster Performance

pudestcon

In another thread the question of density altitude and aircraft performance was touched on.

This struck a chord with me as last time I flew the Thruster it was quite hot and humid, and the performance was ordinary to say the least, and this on take off and climb out. I was on my own this time, so no where near MTOW, but it felt like I was 2 up at MTOW.

Now looking through the POH for my T500 I cannot find any mention of performance and density altitude, and certainly no table of figures to check what performance will be like given a certain set of conditions.

So my question... Does anyone have a Thruster POH showing density altitude performance?

Because my flying is mainly in the local area and not above 3000', generally, I haven't had to do much calculation with density altitude. The airfield elevation is 1330'. I generally rely on local reading of the weather, and take note of the altimeter subscale reading when I adjust for airfield elevation. This gives me an idea if performance will be better or worse than last time I flew. Not very scientific, but an indication nonetheless.

Your thoughts?

Pud

The humidity is not usually taken into account Pud.

I presume you know how to get your DA. It CAN catch you out when you start with a bit of altitude. You biggest effect is from the temperature variation, so you might need a air temp indicator. They are cheap as.

On a standard day your airfield settings would be 969 on the alt subscale and 12 degrees C.. OAT

If the temp is MORE add 120 for each unit.

If the QNH is LESS add 30 for each unit. The answer is in feet

This is from memory so check it. Nev

In another thread the question of density altitude and aircraft performance was touched on.This struck a chord with me as last time I flew the Thruster it was quite hot and humid, and the performance was ordinary to say the least, and this on take off and climb out. I was on my own this time, so no where near MTOW, but it felt like I was 2 up at MTOW.

Now looking through the POH for my T500 I cannot find any mention of performance and density altitude, and certainly no table of figures to check what performance will be like given a certain set of conditions.

So my question... Does anyone have a Thruster POH showing density altitude performance?

Because my flying is mainly in the local area and not above 3000', generally, I haven't had to do much calculation with density altitude. The airfield elevation is 1330'. I generally rely on local reading of the weather, and take note of the altimeter subscale reading when I adjust for airfield elevation. This gives me an idea if performance will be better or worse than last time I flew. Not very scientific, but an indication nonetheless.

Your thoughts?

Pud

Yes, Newton did TOD available vs weight charts for the T-500, with Catto props and 503 / 532 (note: The leaded petrol 503 claimed 58hp, so there's one set of charts for both). He also did ROC vs weight vs speed at 2,500ft density altitude.

As soon as I can get my ^*&^)*^%%!!!!! scanner working, I'll be posting this stuff on the TOSG website pull_hair.gif.3994f465d56951521f66ae0593c25df0.gif

• 2 months later...
Yes, Newton did TOD available vs weight charts for the T-500, with Catto props and 503 / 532 (note: The leaded petrol 503 claimed 58hp, so there's one set of charts for both). He also did ROC vs weight vs speed at 2,500ft density altitude.As soon as I can get my ^*&^)*^%%!!!!! scanner working, I'll be posting this stuff on the TOSG website pull_hair.gif.3994f465d56951521f66ae0593c25df0.gif

You got that scanner working yet Bob?

Pud