Duncan's Razorback FT-1 design

Gentlemen,

I have been working at this design for a few years now, progressing from rough sketches of improbable concepts, to what I now have - via Raymer, Roncz, Whitney and others. And lots of help from experienced friends and designers.

Lately, I have discovered X-Plane as a great visual concept tool, and have been using it as a sanity check on my design formulae. Interestingly, I've discovered that there are very few design concepts which satisfy both the spreadsheets/formulae and X-Plane. What I now have ticks all the design boxes I can find, AND flies brilliantly in X-Plane. I'm a happy camper.

Proposed specs:

Seating: Single seat

Power: 50hp Valley Engineering twin (116lbs, including redrive, full oil, starter etc)

Configuration: Tractor, tandem wing (larger wing in front), tricycle undercarriage

Performance: Stall 43kts, Max S&L 135kts

Controls: Elevators/ailerons on both wings, flaps on both wings

Construction: Glassfibre/3-D Core foam sandwich

Current status:

I am putting the finishing touches to the plug (completing the wing recesses), and will hopefully be doing final prep for the molds within a week or so.

Regards,

Duncan

220484625_Razorbackaftertakeoff.jpg.9be129ce07002401f491e9b87ab702f2.jpg

1300807419_Razorbackonstrip.jpg.749b0336f1a484cf99c052ee3b18ce87.jpg

1841724745_Razorbackoverwater.jpg.a4dc4952e3749f7c3f4e3e58012d6952.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Gentlemen,I have been working at this design for a few years now, progressing from rough sketches of improbable concepts, to what I now have - via Raymer, Roncz, Whitney and others. And lots of help from experienced friends and designers.

Lately, I have discovered X-Plane as a great visual concept tool, and have been using it as a sanity check on my design formulae. Interestingly, I've discovered that there are very few design concepts which satisfy both the spreadsheets/formulae and X-Plane. What I now have ticks all the design boxes I can find, AND flies brilliantly in X-Plane. I'm a happy camper.

Proposed specs:

Seating: Single seat

Power: 50hp Valley Engineering twin (116lbs, including redrive, full oil, starter etc)

Configuration: Tractor, tandem wing (larger wing in front), tricycle undercarriage

Performance: Stall 43kts, Max S&L 135kts

Controls: Elevators/ailerons on both wings, flaps on both wings

Construction: Glassfibre/3-D Core foam sandwich

Current status:

I am putting the finishing touches to the plug (completing the wing recesses), and will hopefully be doing final prep for the molds within a week or so.

Regards,

Duncan

That's a big speed range - how much should it weigh, and what are you using for a prop?

• Winner 1

Hi

I estimate the MAUW will be in the region of 560lbs (256kg). Valley Engineering supplied a prop with the engine, but to be honest, I don’t know what its specs are, besides being two-bladed, 5ft diam, wooden. In X-Plane, I’m using a 2.5ft radius 2 blade with the following specs:

http://1drv.ms/1i7Ofg6

I’m not much of a prop person, and I was planning on getting someone who knows what he’s talking about to select a prop for me (or confirm the V.E. supplied prop is OK) closer to the time.

If you use X-Plane, you might want to grab a copy of the model and fly it. Feedback invited, of course.

You can find the model here:

http://1drv.ms/1h2LaSI

HiI estimate the MAUW will be in the region of 560lbs (256kg). Valley Engineering supplied a prop with the engine, but to be honest, I don’t know what its specs are, besides being two-bladed, 5ft diam, wooden. In X-Plane, I’m using a 2.5ft radius 2 blade with the following specs:

http://1drv.ms/1i7Ofg6

I’m not much of a prop person, and I was planning on getting someone who knows what he’s talking about to select a prop for me (or confirm the V.E. supplied prop is OK) closer to the time.

If you use X-Plane, you might want to grab a copy of the model and fly it. Feedback invited, of course.

You can find the model here:

http://1drv.ms/1h2LaSI

The deal with fixed pitch props is that they have a pretty limited speed range; it can be extended by having the inboard part of the blades stalled at low fowards speed, but this requires either a bigger donk (Spitfire 1 is an example) or a very long takeoff roll! Even the humble Piper Cherokee, which barely manages twice its stall speed at high cruise, was offered with a "climb" and a "cruise" prop.

Because of the thick shank, most wooden props are stalled near the blade roots at low speed, which contributes to the perceived vibrations and poor cooling flow; but the reduced anti-rotational "lift" of the blades allows the engine to develop more power early in the TO run.

The classic helical twist prop shape - c.f. Fred Weick - is very much of the "extend the speed range by stalling the shank" school. From this aspect, use of a smaller diameter prop gives a higher static speed through the prop, so for the same speed ratio, the smaller prop has a higher top speed.

If you let me know the prop RPM at the engine's full power, I can run you a couple of performance curve estimates (they will vary with twist distribution and planform, but not hugely).

Hi,

Very kind of you to offer to help.

The engine red lines at 3600 rpm, and is fitted with a 1.6 to 1 PSRU. Engine is rated at 50hp max.

Does this help?

Duncan

Hi,Very kind of you to offer to help.

The engine red lines at 3600 rpm, and is fitted with a 1.6 to 1 PSRU. Engine is rated at 50hp max.

Does this help?

Duncan

sure thing - I'll have a go later tonight, after I've welded myself to the scenery (or set fire to my overalls!) and convinced the kid to sleep :o)

• Haha 1

Does this help?

Duncan

Does this help?

Duncan

Sorry I was distracted, and only ran one prop - I normally start with a constant-chord helical twist, and it's in the attachment. I should be able to run a couple more tomorrow, and a couple more the next day - by which time you may be shopping for a variable pitch prop that'll hold its blades!!

Cheers, Bob.

Prop #1.pdf

Prop #1.pdf

Prop #1.pdf

Hi,Props are really a bit of an art, aren't they? They don't seem to make sense...

Duncan

They're fair cows... the physics is NOT as simple as it looks. I've spent a lot of time developing prop analysis tools (and, I'm pleased to say, I've won an argument with Hartzell about the performance of one of their own props!)... Anyway, once you've got a set of charts showing the effects of various geometry changes, you'll have a better idea of how to pick one, at least..

Hi,Props are really a bit of an art, aren't they? They don't seem to make sense...

Duncan

Getting back to the constant chord versions, here's what happens when you reduce the root advance and increase the tip advance... it's getting a lot more useable, although the first part of the takeoff will still be pretty lethargic.

This is probably it for today, but we still have to look at effects of spinner size, tapered tips on the reduced-twist form, changing the thickness distribution, optimising the twist distribution, fine-tuning the chord distribution, and fine-tuning the taper (or planform)....

Prop #1-4.pdf

Prop #1-4.pdf

Prop #1-4.pdf

Good on you Bob for helping Duncan. This stuff fascinates me, doesn't mean I fully understand it, but the physic is really interesting.

No worries... That's because you're not mad enough 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif... it rots your brain... makes you think politicians are silly and the media is shallow...031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

• Like 2

Duncan

....and here's the one I wasn't going to put up today... the sub-helical twist with tapered tips and a tad more advance... shows that efficiency and thrust don't go hand-in-hand...

Prop #1-5.pdf

Prop #1-5.pdf

Prop #1-5.pdf

Duncan

...and here's prop #5, with the twist on the outer half of the blade(s) fudged a little - not optimally, but in a more betterer direction. Note the ugly little dip around 40kts - that's due to a stall instability (a chunk of the blade is very close to stall, so a very small change in local inflow causes it to stall... and then unstall by 50kts). If you've ever had a prop that buzzed at a certain speed, or whined, or hummed, it was the same sort of thing.

I could micro-twist that behaviour out of it, but there are bigger improvements to be had. Since the compressibility margin is good (it gets nowhere near sonic choking at any speed), increasing the section thickness outboard should improve the stalling characteristics, which should give the highest thrust yet at ~40kt, and may improve the sub-40kt curve...

ps I've dropped the first coupla props, the graph was just getting too crowded...

Prop #3-6.pdf

Prop #3-6.pdf

Prop #3-6.pdf

Hi,

Gosh, I turn my back at return to see you hard at it. Good on you... I have to just sit back and gaze in wonder at all this. Fascinating, but completely beyond me.

You mentioned spinner size once or twice. I favour a large spinner (currently looking at 14.5") but this is not set in stone. It just looks nice.

Some design targets:

Stall 43kts

Cruise 135kts

My engine produces 50hp @ 3600rpm, and is fitted with a 1.6:1 PSRU.

I trust these specs line up OK with your prop tinkering?

Regards,

Duncan

Hi,Gosh, I turn my back at return to see you hard at it. Good on you... I have to just sit back and gaze in wonder at all this. Fascinating, but completely beyond me.

You mentioned spinner size once or twice. I favour a large spinner (currently looking at 14.5") but this is not set in stone. It just looks nice.

Some design targets:

Stall 43kts

Cruise 135kts

My engine produces 50hp @ 3600rpm, and is fitted with a 1.6:1 PSRU.

I trust these specs line up OK with your prop tinkering?

Regards,

Duncan

Well, I've been studying props, it's nice to get a chance to use it... of course, when I've got it all working to my satisfaction, I plan to charge huge sums of money for advice...065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif... or start making props! prop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif

This lot use those donk specs; as you can see, the rising line of the aircraft drag will cross the descending line of the prop thrust; and when you push the thrust out to higher speeds, you lose takeoff performance.

I'm also trying to make a point about how many variables are significant... the analytical technique I use is pretty accurate; so it should be able to let you work out what's the best you can expect from a fixed pitch prop. If you get a prop that won't deliver, you should then know to change the prop, not the aeroplane...

ps When I get to the end, I hope to produce a less confusing summary for you (and me!).

If you'd care to let me know your wing area, aspect ratio, tail areas, approx fuselage surface area, and wheel size, I can fold this prop data into a polar and give some estimated performance figures, including TOR / TOD, by the methods I've found to work.

Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,

Again, this is terribly kind of you. Thank you.

MAUW: 576lbs

Wing area (front wing): 63.08ft^2

AR: 7.02

Tail area: 34.05ft^2

AR: 8.53

Fuse surface area: 68ft^2 (more or less)

Wheel size (front): 9.6" diameter, 4.3" wide, Mains: 13" diameter, 5" wide

Sorry to be working in Imperial units, but my design software is all in feet and inches.

Duncan

Hi,

That 20kt dip is a bit weird isn't it? To someone like me, that just doesn't make sense...

Yes, the higher end of things is probably where I'll be aiming to optimise. The plane is very small and very light, so I'm not overly concerned with optimising for the climb. I reckon it'll get there soon enough. Do you tjhink we'll be able to get away with a fixed pitch prop?

Duncan

Hi Bob,Again, this is terribly kind of you. Thank you.

MAUW: 576lbs

Wing area (front wing): 63.08ft^2

AR: 7.02

Tail area: 34.05ft^2

AR: 8.53

Fuse surface area: 68ft^2 (more or less)

Wheel size (front): 9.6" diameter, 4.3" wide, Mains: 13" diameter, 5" wide

Sorry to be working in Imperial units, but my design software is all in feet and inches.

Duncan

Ok, here's a first shot at the probable performance. I've assumed spatted and faired U/C, no unwanted separation anywhere, Prop #8, and a 48lb load on the 34 sq. ft HS... looks like you'll get impressive TO and 110kt IAS cruise, which suggests we could stop working on the TO end of the prop performance, and try to improve the top end.

Cheers!

Rough Performance Estimates #1.pdf

Hi,That 20kt dip is a bit weird isn't it? To someone like me, that just doesn't make sense...

Yes, the higher end of things is probably where I'll be aiming to optimise. The plane is very small and very light, so I'm not overly concerned with optimising for the climb. I reckon it'll get there soon enough. Do you tjhink we'll be able to get away with a fixed pitch prop?

Duncan

Well, the curves show 110kts indicated on Prop #8, and bags of TO performance, so I'd say 120kts indicated is within reach of a 2-blader... if the diameter is reduced, 130kts may be possible, fixed pitch.

At this end of town, it's all about drag; you've eliminated induced drag pretty well, but in my experience things like separation at control surface hinges, cooling drag, exhaust "plume" drag and wingroot-fuselage interference still have the potential to stuff things. From the sounds of your research, maybe you've got all that under control too...003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Note that 120kts indicated will, at 5,000ft on a warm day, get you over the ground at close to 135 kts...