Clipped wings in Wollongong.

Guest Howard Hughes

Guest Howard Hughes

Gidday all,

I have just had my wings clipped by CASA for 6 months for a medical condition and would like to do some recreational flying to keep my hand in, also with a view to possibly purchasing an aircraft in the future.

I have completed a grand total of one hour in a drifter many years ago and still credit that hour as the most fun I have had throughout my flying careeer ever! I am still very fit, able to hold a car licence and would like to know whereabouts (as I am relatively new to the area) in Wollongong or close by, that I could do some flying?

Cheers, HH.;)

Guest David C

Welcome .... I can't rate Daves Flying School at The Oaks highly enough . With a school fleet of Jabirus , Lightwing , Quicksilver and Bantam , I don't think you will find a school with a better mix of aircraft and at great rates too .

Dave C

Guest Howard Hughes

Thanks for the help, I reckon I might head over to the Oaks and have a look. YKAT is probably just a little far for me at this stage, but the scenery is great out that way and maybe a destination for the future!

With regards to trikes how would someone with 24 years of flying in 3-Axis aircraft go? Is it an easy transition, or would it require many hours of training? I often see the trikes flying over the beach south of YWOL and they do look interesting.

I have a couple of other questions, I am probably looking to learn and fly in a tail dragger, don't have any experience with taildraggers (apart fron the hour in the Drifter) and all the aircraft I like, or would consider purchasing, are taildraggers.

Thanks again for the suggestions, they are all really helpful and I will look forward to seeing some of you in the not too distant future.

Cheers, HH.;)

PS: Mr Bigglesworth, I was not ruled out for insanity, it's because I don't have a heart!;)

Guest Crezzi

Converting from 3-axis to weightshift typically takes 10-15 hours. They aren't particularly difficult to fly but the inputs are reversed so it seems a bit strange at first.

If you search the forums that have been some previous threads discussing the conversion in more detail.

John

Guest Howard Hughes
Back to flying

Thanks Thruster, it's only been two weeks, hopefully I haven't lost it yet! But then again some may say I never 'had it'...;)

I will have to look up Jaspers Brush, where is that?