Airport a few blocks west of yeppoon main street

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

People

I'm thinking about a mid winter few days getaway with the wife and Yeppoon looks nice.....There appears to be an airfield a few blocks to the west of the main Yeppoon CBD. Looks to me as though RWY is about 10-28 and about 1200m long of useable. In the Google earth latest shot it seems as though the local aero modellers fly from the field as well.

airportnearyeppoon.jpg.8d528ff7c969effcb94a13882d0a7c08.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this field? Contact details and whether you can park for a few days or so while checking out the beach etc.

Also is there any local car hire bunch that will deliver to this field?

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

I thought I had heard that it was closed? at least that was what I saw when I searched here on it, I think Frank Marriott said big X's on rwys, but that was some time back maybe its back open......not often that airfields get reopened though in Australia, once the X of death is applied..........

There was a website that was posted in 2012, but I cant get anything from there now

Andy

Andy the strip I think you are looking at is just behind St Brendan's College. There is an active flying group based there as well as the modellers. I have flown models there 10 years ago and keep meaning to fly in for one of their monthly BBQs.

I have all the details & contacts on the home PC but I am in London for another week. If no one else chimes in I will get the info for you when I am home. If I forget PM me a reminder.

Andy

Headlow has new owners/operators and is open again including a flight school I am "told"?

I haven't stopped there myself, but certainly the crosses were gone the last time I flew over - but that is a while ago now too - so may not be current info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andys@coffs

Gents

As it turns out the wife and I spent 4 days at Emu Park, there is a backpackers/hotel that does $70 night hotel room accommodation (or $85 if you book in advance online, $80 if over the phone, or $70 if you just turn up) http://www.emusbeachresort.com/ its about 900m walk, bit up hill/down hill but close enough. Car fuel about the same distance away back towards the town center, no avgas though, closest is old station Im told by a local chopper pilot who was doing sight seeing flights on Saturday at the field

Emu Park airport is managed by the local council but owned by the state gov. No fees for parking or landing, but watch the step between the ground and the old concrete slab with the tie down points, not spat or nose wheel friendly, the grass makes it appear as though its level but it definitely isnt. The airport as suggested by others does indeed slope down to the south but its a useful length and during the week you pretty much have it to yourself.

The main strip is pretty reasonable quality, the ground near the tie down point was bumpy and it may benefit to walk it before blindly taxing in, grass height to some extent tended to hide the rough ground reality. Bottom line be cautious.

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

The following photo shows the field from the street to the north east of the field, at a few minutes after first light today. It looks cold but wasn't really, and the fog was not an issue on take off. The concrete slab is pretty close to level so from that you can get a feel for the slope. Around Rockhampton at present is very dry, but the morning dews are pretty heavy but burnt off quickly for the days we were there.

P7280304.JPG.f948ee0f315857b351bc676f6c1e4255.JPG