Plane crash on Stradbroke injures two

planedriver

Sunday Sep 2 10:54 AEST

An ultralight aircraft has crashed on takeoff on North Stradbroke Island, off the south-east Queensland coast, injuring the two male occupants.

An RACQ Careflight spokesman said the ultralight was taking off from the North Stradbroke airstrip at Dunwich when it crashed, shortly before 9am (AEST) on Sunday.

"It's crashed on takeoff with two male occupants both in their mid-40s on board," the spokesman said.

Both men were being airlifted to Brisbane hospitals by the RACQ Careflight helicopter and another rescue helicopter.

The spokesman said the man transported in the RACQ Careflight helicopter had been knocked unconscious on impact, and had suffered head and back injuries.

He was being flown to Royal Brisbane Hospital.

The condition of the other injured man was not known.

It's always sad to hear this sort of news. I know we all wish them well.

Planedriver.

Guest sypkens

Hi,

Both occupants are members of this forum. Until their families have been notified I can not mention their names but I wish them well and speedy recoveries. The last I heard they were sent to two different hospitals.

Jan

Guest vanbudo

Please Explain

A sad day for SE QLD; 4 dead after a boating accident & an aircraft crash resulting in two injuried aviators.

What I fail to understand is the public's (delete public, insert mrs, family & friends et al) take on this. My point is, I am learning to fly and I own a boat. All & sundry are keen for me to give up flying as it is soooo dangerous, but no one what me to sell my boat!

Just as a side issue there have been 250 deaths on the road this year; 41 up on same time last year... I can't see too many rushing out to give up the dangerous act of driving.

I tried to point out that if it was not for the skill of the crew on board the drifter & the shear strength of the aircraft itself; what I believe to be an intrinsically safe aircraft, the outcome may well have been worse.

how does one deal with the wider public's ignorance when it comes to aircraft safety?

Guest Bob Bell

They were ironically practising emergencies. It became a real one. One of the men has serious head and chest injuries, the other neck and back/spinal injuries. They are at two separate hospitals, Royal Brisbane, and Princess Alexandra. Real bad luck for them both. Hope they get well soon.

Bob

Guest vanbudo

The spineless blood sucking vultures that collectively call themselves "the media" have again out done themselves. no mention of the two surviving aviators on stradbroke on the channel 10 news but rather graphic footage of the horifing collision between two aircraft at a polish airshow; at point of impact. & if you didn't catch it the first time, they obliged by showing the footage twice! well done you maggots!

Vanbudo - do what I do (and a growing number of Australians) , just dont turn the bloody thing on. Get a good DVD out and enjoy life. I haven't watched TV for nearly 18 months - when I want news I go to ABC or BBC website and select the items I want.

It is very liberating.

Guest Flyer40

Best wishes to our injured colleagues and we hope to see them back on the forum sooner rather than later.

I don't mean to threadjack, but on the issue of the sensationalising media I wholeheartedly agree Paul. We heavily filter what we watch at our place. I know of several work colleagues who do much the same including one senior guy who doesn't own a TV at all. You're right, it is very liberating.

Guest Fred Bear

Did not know about this until I got back here to stinkin' Sydney and you know why? I did not watch the tv all weekend at Bathurst. Instead I watched jets fly overhead at 40,000ft, listened to them on the scanner, sat out enjoyed the sun and view. Much better than watching the news. It's depressing. A full and speedy recovery to both aviators.