Cessna 120

myshed2

Not offhand but I'll ask around and PM you if I come up with anything useful. In the meantime other forumites down that way might know people they could recommend. BTW, I'd recommend that it should be a LAME and that you get a written condition report, have an engine leak-down test done, oil analysis etc.

Such an inspection and flight test is all you'll have to seek reparation if something costly turns out to be wrong with it, and it's a LAME's responsibility to conduct these inspections and warrant that the aircraft is airworthy and in good condition. Just because it's RAAus registered doesn't stop a LAME inspecting and reporting on it. It usually costs a bit but is good insurance against ending up with a dud.

Even if you don't end up buying the plane you can sometimes offset the cost of the inspection and report. I had a yacht inspected and decided against it although the report wasn't all bad, I just wasn't quite happy with the condition of the filler under the paint below the waterline. The marine surveyor's report cost me $1600 and would have been required for me to get it insured, so had to be done in any case. I kept in touch with the agents who were selling the vessel and in the end I sold the report for half price to the person who eventually did buy it, so they could could provide it to their insurer.

Thanks Dazza / Ozbear / Thommo / Ian for your input.Yeah, after talking to the owner I think a lot of the SIDS if not done has been confirmed as being passable. I didnt know that the earlier models had the corrsion protection. Thanks Thommo. The SIDS doesnt scare me so long as I can be confident (before purchase) that there is nothing that is going to either cost more than aircraft is worth to fix or cause the aircaft to be junked. What should I be looking for in a Lycoming that has 1300hrs to run?

In any Lycoming ( and as far as I know, Continental - tho I'm less familiar with them) that has been in operation for a lot of years, but low engine hours, get a LAME to remove the front welsh plug from the crankshaft and inspect the inside of the front end of the crankshaft for corrosion. Also, I suspect parts are getting difficult to find for early o-200 s.